Connect with us

BIG STORY

Collapsed School Building:12 Pupils Killed, Pregnant Woman, Eight Others Die; 34 Rescued.

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

A pregnant woman, the proprietor of a Nursery/Primary School and 19 others, including no fewer than 12 pupils, died in the collapsed building at Massey Street, Itafaji on Lagos Island, Lagos State on Wednesday, witnesses and hospital sources said.

However, the National Emergency Management Agency said eight persons died, while 34 others were rescued in the wreckage of the building that collapsed at about 10am.

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency did not give the number of the dead, but said it rescued 10 persons from the wreckage.

The agency said its rescue team and other agencies brought out 10 people alive, made up of three adult females, one adult male, two teenage boys, one young boy and three teenage girls.

The South-West Zonal Head of Public Affairs of the Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye said the rescue operation was ongoing as at 8pm.

NAN gathered that most of the victims were rescued from the rubble on Wednesday, but died at the General Hospital as doctors failed to save them.

NAN learnt that the pregnant woman was one of the persons rescued from the rubble, immediately after the building collapsed, but she died in the hospital.

Other persons reported dead as at 8pm included the proprietor of a school in the building, Ohen Nursery and Primary School, about 12 pupils and some other occupants of the building.

NAN gathered that about 10 different families occupied the first and the ground floors, while the school occupied the second and fourth floors.

The building, it was learnt, had been marked for demolition by officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency.

However, the occupants frustrated the demolition.

NAN further learnt that 17 of the rescued students and occupants of the building were taken to Massey Children Hospital, very close to the scene, while others were taken to the Lagos Island General Hospital on Broad Street.

A worker at the Massey Children Hospital, who spoke with NAN on condition of anonymity, said four out of those brought in died few minutes after.

The medical staff said six of those who were rushed to the Lagos General Hospital also died.

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, who visited the scene, said the government would ensure that the trapped victims were rescued

The school moved to the collapsed building some years back.

Distraught parents of pupils and residents of the building jammed the scene of the rescue operation, hoping that their children and relatives would come out alive.

Bukola Salami, a former staff teacher in the school, who spoke with NAN said the proprietor of the school had been told to vacate the building, but she balked on account that she had no money to rent another apartment.

Salami said: “It was because of the situation of the building that forced me to resign from the school in December because I don’t want to risk my life.

“It is unfortunate that such incident happened.

“It looks like a dream to me.”

A resident of the collapsed building, who simply gave his name as Akin, said the building was marked for demolition, but that the developer found a way to stop the demolition.

Akin said he had gone to work when he received the news of the incident.

He also stated that the owner did some renovation two years ago.

A neighbour, Adewale Owoso, likened the moment the building collapsed to a bomb explosion.

Owoso said: “We were just sitting down in front of the school, when we heard a loud sound.

“We all ran into different directions but after the dust had settled, we realised that it was the building that collapsed.

“We quickly mobilised and began some rescue operation and we had rescued more than 20 people before the emergency workers arrived.”

Aishat Onilenla said three of her sister’s three children were trapped in the collapsed building.

Onilenla said: “My friend has seven children also trapped in the rubble.

“I don’t know how she is going to survive it.

“It is too big for her to bear.”

The Deputy Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Wasiu Esinlokun, who visited the scene of the incident, said a notice for demolition was served on the building on Tuesday, a day before the building collapsed.

Esinlokun, while speaking with journalists, said the Lagos State Government would ensure that victims of the incident are treated free.

As at 8:30pm, NAN gathered that some of the parents whose children died in the hospital had gone to pick up the corpses for burial.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

Ohaneze Speaks On Tinubu’s Plan To Contest For Presidency In 2023, Says Jagaban Should Back Out

Avatar

Published

on

The apex Igbo socio-political organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has reacted to reports claiming that National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu will run for the office of the president in 2023.

Ohanaeze’s Deputy Spokesperson, Chuks Ibegbu, in an exclusive interview with DAILY POST, said Tinubu should not run for presidency on the basis of morality.

Just last week, former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode had commended the APC National Leader for “aspiring” to be president in 2023.

Fani-Kayode had tweeted: “I am not in Bola Tinubu’s party but I commend him for having the courage to aspire to be President in 2023.

“How many southern politicians from either APC or PDP have had the guts to do that? If nothing else he has challenged the myth that the north owns Nigeria.”

However, Ibegbu alleged that most people in the South East are not comfortable with the former Lagos State Governor; hence he should not run for president.

According to Ibegbu: “Every Nigerian has the right to contest for any position but we are talking about morality now, Tinubu has the right, I Chuks Ibegbu has the right to be president of this country but we are talking about morality, justice, fairness and equity.

“Tinubu has the right to come out to be president but by right, equity and fairness he should not come out, he has no reason to come out morally.

“In the South West, many are not comfortable with him so he should not come out.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

I’ll End Apapa Gridlock Within 60 Days In Office, Tackle Menace Of BRT Drivers – Sanwo-Olu

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor-elect, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said he would end the protracted gridlock in the Apapa area of the state within the first 60 days of his administration.

So also did Sanwo-Olu, who spoke at an interactive session with his classmates at the Executive Master of Business Administration class, University of Lagos, 1998/2000 set, on Saturday promise to look into the operation of the Bus Rapid Transport in the state.

The incoming governor said the first step in solving the Apapa gridlock is to rid the area of trailers.

He said: “The Apapa trailer issue, it’s a campaign issue, it’s very serious.

“I’m going to take it very seriously.

“I believe that it is something that we are going to solve in the first 60 days of our government.

“Whatever is going to be required of us, we will take them out.

“There is a lot of politics being played around there.

“But no, it cannot be the way we’ll continue to live.

“We cannot continue to give excuses.

“Five or 10 years ago, if we had been forward-thinking, we would have also realised that the city had actually outgrown the Apapa Port.

“So, the long-term solution is to build another one.

“Our government, by the Grace of God, will start the Badagry Port.

“That is the long-term solution.”

On the recklessness of some BRT bus drivers, Sanwo-Olu said: “The BRT issue is something that has to do with culture.

“When we take over, by the Grace of God, we will advertise and see if we can employ some of our graduates as drivers.

“What I realized is that apart from the money we will be paying them, which is more than what they are paying an average graduate, we need to very quickly tell our people and encourage ourselves that there is dignity in work.

“We are going to be paying (them) between N80,000 and N100,000 to come and drive these buses because we expect a lot more decency.

“By the time we get the culture of the drivers’ right, the routes are coming up, by the time we finish the Abule-Egba/Iyana Ipaja/Ikeja route, it will boost the number of BRT.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Ganduje Dares Emir Sanusi, Says He’s No Longer The Only First Class Monarch In Kano

Avatar

Published

on

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has assured that the new additional four Emirates have come to stay, insisting that, they were created in good faith without any disdainful treatment to anybody or group of individuals.

He said this on Sunday while insisting that the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi is no longer the only first class monarch in the state.

Reiterating his complete and total support for smooth running of all the newly created Emirates in the state, he further challenged that, “As a son of a Village Head (Dagaci) how can I do something that would jeopardise the corporate existence of our long standing heritage?

Explaining that, “If you count my ancestors, not less than ten of them were village heads up to my biological father. So I really don’t understand when people say my government is up for harming this noble institution.”

The Governor dropped the hint when he paid a condolence visit to Rano Emir’s Palace over the death of the wife of Justice Wada Rano, Hajiya Khadija Wada Rano, after visiting the family house of the deceased all in Rano local government.

He added that when he was signing the Law establishing the four additional Emirate Councils of Rano, Bichi, Karaye and Gaya, he made it categorically clear that, the aim for the new Councils was primarily to push development closer to the people at the grassroot.

He said after inauguration for his second term in office, “We will come up with new and modern strategy for the development of our state. Such strategy would incorporate, at a more closer approach, our Emirate Councils. That was why we realised the need for having these Emirate Councils.”

He that his administration needed to give booster to the existing traditional institution, and “through waking up the sleeping traditional institution.”

He ordered the Emir to deal with the District Head of Bebeji who was said to have resigned his position in protest of the new Emirate Council, adding that, “If it is appears true that he resigned, the Emir can just send a representative there before the appointment of a substantive District Head.”

The Governor expressed satisfaction over some youth of Bebeji who staged a rally in support of the creation of Rano Emirate Council and who also called for the removal of the District Head of Bebeji, over his absenteeism.

Continue Reading

Most Popular