High-class polo would be on center stage for ten days as the prestigious Lagos Polo International Tournament which has GTBank as main sponsor gallops off Wednesday at Polo Club Road, Ikoyi.
The Silver Cup, the traditional event opener, would set hostilities rolling with three matches on the card as teams from Lagos, Kano and Ibadan battle for supremacy while the Low Cup would close the day’s activity.
Of the 33 teams that would vie for honour in four cups twelve of them would stake their pride in the Silver Cup, which is the lowest grade in the tournament.
For the medium-goal Low Cup, five teams would be contesting for the top prize. The medium-goal Low Cup and the prestigious Majekodunmi Cup, which would round off the polo extravaganza, will feature two teams, STL of Lagos and Rubicon of Kano.
The Open Cup as well as the Majek Cup, which are billed for the concluding weekwould have high-profile players from Argentina, United Kingdom, South Africa and a host of top Nigerian players participating.
Debuting STL of Lagos has Abuja-based Almat to contend with and a triumph for any of the contesting teams would see them joining the elite group of winners which include 2018 champions Fifth Chukker of Kaduna.
Managing Director of Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, SegunAgbaje, stated that the financial institution identified with polo because of the love it had for the game as well as sports in general.
According to him, “the passion and the symbiosis between the players and their horses, but most importantly, we hold a strong affinity to the sport of kings because it reflects quality, competitiveness and fair play; some of the values that have made GTBank a Proudly African and Truly International Financial Institution.”
Agbaje reiterated GTBank’s commitment by pointing that the sponsorship of this year’s tournament demonstrates the bank’s strong belief in the role of sports in developing and uniting the society. He stresses that the tournament has grown over the years to become one of the most anticipated social and sporting events of the year in Nigeria.
Tournament Manager, SeyiOyinlola, promised two weeks of exhilarating and thrilling polo urging “polo lovers to turn out in large numbers to come and feel the glamour associated with game of Kings.”
Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr Reveals Mistake Super Eagles Made, Singles Out One Player
Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has admitted his players were relaxed at the end of the game when they wanted to force Algeria into extra time in their Africa Cup of Nations semi-final clash.
Nigeria had leveled the game through Odion Ighalo’s penalty after they went behind in the first half.
But with the final kick of the match, Riyad Mahrez struck an unstoppable free-kick past Daniel Akpeyi, to ensure the Desert Foxes will play in the final.
Rohr, speaking to Reuters, hailed Mahrez ass the “genius who made the difference”.
He said: “It was a big fight until the last minute, it was a wonderful match, I think my players wanted it to go to extra time thinking Algeria were more tired.
“We scored an own goal, unlucky, but we have come back every time in this tournament and this time we came back on a penalty. But a wonderful free kick from a football genius made the difference.”
Nigeria will face Tunisia in Wednesday’s third-place encounter at the Al-Salam Stadium in Cairo.
Nigeria Vs South Africa: Interesting Head-To-Head Statistics As Eagles Battle Bafana Bafana Today
The past days have been filled with the intense build-up to what could easily pass as one of the most important games ever between South Africa and Nigeria at the ongoing AFCON 2019 tournament in Egypt.
Both teams will battle for a place in the semi finals today in Cairo.
Here are interesting heads-to-head stats ahead of the game at the stadium of horror.
- Nigeria are three-time African champions while Bafana Bafana won the tournament as hosts in 1996.
- South Africa beat Nigeria away in their opening match of the AFCON qualifiers in June 2017 and were held 1-1 in the return fixture.
- Nigeria have not won South Africa in their last five meetings.
- The last time Nigeria defeated the South African national team was in a CHAN group stage game on August 19 ,2014 where Super Eagles won by 3-1 in Cape Town.
- Ahmed Musa was the last Nigerian player to score against South Africa. it was in an international friendly in 2015 which ended in a 1-1 draw at Nelspruit.
- South Africa have only managed to beat the Super Eagles twice in all and only once in a competitive game.
- Nigeria’s first defeat against South Africa came in 2004. The 2-1 loss in 2004 was in friendly game used to mark Nelson Mandela’s birthday.
- In 1992, Nigeria thumped South Africa 4-0 in Lagos on their return to international football after years of being banned owing to apartheid rule back. It was their first head-to-head meeting.
- The most recent head-to-head meeting between the two sides was in August 2013 for the Nelson Mandela Challenge at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban. Again Nigeria proved too much for South Africa by winning two-nil through Uche Nwofor’s brace of goals.
Head to Head record:
- Nigeria 2-0 South Africa, semi-final in 2000
- Nigeria 4-0 South Africa, group stage in 2004
Total head-to-head matches played: 13
- Nigeria wins: 6
- South Africa wins: 2
- Draws: 5
See Breakdown below:
- 10 Oct 1992 Nigeria v South Africa 4-0 FIFA World Cup
- 16 Jan 1993 South Africa v Nigeria 0-0 FIFA World Cup
- 10 Feb 2000 Nigeria v South Africa 2-0 Africa Cup of Nations
- 31 Jan 2004 Nigeria v South Africa 4-0 Africa Cup of Nations
- 17 Nov 2004 South Africa v Nigeria 2-1 International Friendly
- 01 Jun 2008 Nigeria v South Africa 2-0 FIFA World Cup
- 06 Sep 2008 South Africa v Nigeria 0-1 FIFA World Cup
- 14 Aug 2013 South Africa v Nigeria 0-2 International Friendly
- 10 Sep 2014 South Africa v Nigeria 0-0 Africa Cup of Nations
- 19 Nov 2014 Nigeria v South Africa 2-2 Africa Cup of Nations
- 29 Mar 2015 South Africa v Nigeria 1-1 International Friendly
- 10 Jun 2017 Nigeria v South Africa L 0-2 Africa Cup of Nations
- 17 Nov 2018 South Africa v Nigeria 1-1 Africa Cup of Nations
BREAKING: Chelsea Confirms Frank Lampard As New Head Coach
Former Chelsea midfielder, Frank Lampard has been appointed as the new head coach at Chelsea on a three-year contract.
The club legend has put pen to paper on a three-year deal to run through till 2022. The Englishman replaces Maurizio Sarri, who left the Blues for Juventus on June 16, 2019.
Frank Lampard took his first steps into coaching last year when he was appointed as the manager of Championship club Derby County. Under Lampard, the Rams managed to secure a top-six spot and qualify for the playoffs. They then beat Leeds United in the semi-finals, before losing the promotion final to Aston Villa.
Prior to that, Lampard enjoyed a stellar career as a player with Chelsea. The Englishman joined the Blues as a youngster from London rivals West Ham United and went on to achieve the status of a club legend.
During his playing time, the Chelsea number eight made six hundred and forty-eight (648) appearances and even became the club’s record scorer with two hundred and eleven goals (211). He won three Premier League titles with the Stamford Bridge outfit, four FA Cups, two League Cups, one UEFA Europa League, and one UEFA Champions League.
El-Zakzaky: Steer Clear Lagos, South West —- Yoruba Youths Warn Shi’ites, Sponsors
‘I Felt Ridiculed Contesting Against A Dancer’ —- Oyetola Mocks PDP’s Adeleke
Two Days After Making A Public Declaration Of N48bn Asset, Presidency Set To Verify Governor Makinde’s Source Of Income
Drama As Atiku’s 57th Witness Weeps At Election Tribunal
Don’t Obey Northern Elders Order To Quit The South, Buhari Tells Fulani Herdsmen
BREAKING: Oshiomhole Makes Surprise Appearance At Presidential Election Tribunal
Women World Cup: Super Falcons Release Strong Starting Eleven Ahead Of Germany Cracker
How COZA Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo Raped Me —- Busola, Wife Of Renowned Singer, Timi Dakolo [VIDEO]
‘That Business, E No Go Spoil For Your Hand’ — At Union Bank, There’s A Loan For Everyone
BREAKING: Another Lady Accuses COZA Pastor Fatoyinbo Of Rape; Gives Details [VIDEO]
JoIn Us On Facebook
Uncategorized2 days ago
CAN Denies Knowledge Of Solidarity Visit, Says COZA Pastors Are On Their Own
BIG STORY1 day ago
Please Beg Rafiu Not To Leave Me, He Should Forgive Me — Woman Who Attacks Hubby With Broken Bottles Prays Court
BIG STORY1 day ago
Buhari Orders Immediate Payment of N30,000 Minimum Wage To Federal Workers
BIG STORY1 day ago
Seyi Makinde: Atiku Reacts To Oyo Governor’s N48bn Assets Declaration, Calls Him A TrailBlazer
BIG STORY1 day ago
PHOTO: Tanko All Smiles After Senate Confirmation As CJN
BIG STORY1 day ago
Hit-And-Run Driver Kills NAN Director Two Months After Predecessor’s Death