The Presidential Investigation Panel on the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) has resolved to summon Gov. Ibrahim Dankwanbo of Gombe over the death of one of his personal aides.
Mr Tony Ojukwu, chairman of the panel disclosed at its resume sitting on Wednesday in Maitama, Abuja.
This was in relation to a petition written by Law Chambers of Mr Sunny Olorunmola on behalf of one Mrs Okon over the death of her husband Mr John Okon who was a personal cook to Dankwanbo.
Mrs Okon alleged that her husband died as a result of injuries sustained due to beatings and torture by men of SARS. She further stated that he was in custody of the men of SARS headed by one SP Jummai of the anti crime department, Kaduna. Okon said the problem started after a burglary at the Kaduna residence of Damkwanbo were the deceased was living with his family.
“The deceased who lived in the boys quarters of the governor’s private residence in Kaduna woke up on Nov. 8, 2018 to discover that the house had been burgled and four theatre TV cinema sets carted away by unknown persons. Six dead in attack on upmarket Nairobi hotel complex
“The deceased, his wife and other domestic staff reported the case at the Kabala Costain Police Station, where they were all arrested.
“They were subsequently transferred to the state Police Headquartres on Friday Nov. 9, 2018 for further investigation. “My husband fell sick and died on Nov. 13 as he was being rushed to Barau Diko General Hospital, Kaduna for medical attention,” she said.
Counsel to the petitioner, Ms Gloria Balkson, brought a pathologist, Dr Godwin Ayuba who performed autopsy on the deceased. Ayuba led by Balkson narrated their finding to the panel.
“He died as a result of multiple traumas; break down of blood due to infection or drug and so much bile stain, signifying leakages in the gall bladder.
“His stomach had undigested peppery liquid food and the small intestine was ballooned at intervals,” he said.
When cross examined by counsel to the police, Mr Taiwo Malik, the pathologist said the coroner from the police paid for the autopsy and was the one who asked for the autopsy. He said further that he doesn’t know why the police pathologist was not invited to the sitting. Dr Iheanyichukwu Ogbonna, obstetrician and gynecologist who served as an observer to the autopsy told the panel that the gall bladder was ruptured obviously traumatised. He stated further that the bile stained the entire intestine green, showing that no enough food was in the stomach. When the wife of the deceased was led in evidence by her counsel, she said that she identified one Insp. Baba Yakubu as the police officer who dragged her late husband and tortured him.
“They did not allow him to drink water or eat food,” she said. The panel led by Mr Tony Ojukwu asked Yakubu to respond to the allegation but he denied dragging the deceased.
“I am not working at the counter, my office is upstairs and the ones responsible for feeding suspects are those working at the counter,’’ he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the panel was set up by the Federal Government to investigate the allegations of human rights abuses by the men of Special Anti-Robbery Squad. The panel is to make useful recommendations to government on the way forward.
BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Increases LASTMA Allowance By 100%
Lagos Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has announced the increment in the monthly allowance of the state traffic officials, LASTMA.
Sanwo-Olu, PorscheClassy News gathered has increased the allowances of all officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA by 100 percent.
According to a statement by the Governor’s Deputy Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile, LASTMA officers will now get 100per cent of what they currently earn. This will take effect from the end of July.
“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu today announced an increase in LASTMA officers’ allowance. LASTMA officers to earn 100% of their current allowance from the end of July. This is to boost the morale of officers and make them work well for the people of Lagos State,” Akosile tweeted.
The Governor made the announcement when he visited the headquarters of LASTMA where he met with officers of the organisation.
It would be recalled that a focus on Traffic Management and Transportation is the first of Sanwo-Olu’s campaign agenda which was named ‘THEME’.
BREAKING: Supreme Court Sacks APC Senator, Orders Musa As Replacement
The Supreme Court on Friday sacked David Umar as the Senator representing Niger-East in the newly constituted ninth Senate and declared Muhammed Musa as his replacement.
Umar was the Chairman, Senate Committee Chairman on Justice, Human Rights and Legal Matters, in the last Senate.
In a unanimous judgment of the five-man panel led by the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, the apex court nullified the earlier verdict of the Court of Appeal in Abuja, which had validated Umar as the rightful candidate of the All Progressives Congress in the February 23, 2019 senatorial election.
The apex court, after nullifying the Court of Appeal’s judgment, restored the earlier verdict of the Federal High Court which had declared Musa, as the rightful candidate of the party.
Justice Folashade Giwa-Ogunbanjo of the Federal High Court in Abuja had on February 7, 2019, declared Musa as the rightful candidate.
In the lead judgment delivered by Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, on Friday, the apex court agreed with Musa’s legal team led by Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), that the Court of Appeal wrongly interpreted the provision of section 285(9) of the Constitution.
Justice Ariwoola held that the Court of Appeal was, therefore, wrong to have struck out the suit filed by Musa before the Federal High Court after adjudging the suit to be statute-barred.
He held that contrary to the Court of Appeal’s judgment, Musa had instituted his suit within time, as the mandatory 14 days period within which the suit ought to be filed, should be counted from the date the Independent National Electoral Commission published the names of candidate and not from the date a winner of the primary was declared.
Justice Ariwoola held, “At the end of the day, as this court has held in some other judgments including the one delivered yesterday (Thursday), that, time began to run not from the time primary election was conducted but at the time the name of the 1st respondent (Umaru) was forwarded to INEC instead of the name of the appellant.
“In the circumstance, the court below was wrong in holding that the action was statute barred.
“The court below was wrong in its interpretation of section 285(9) of the Constitution (as amended) in view of the available facts.
“In the final analysis, this appeal is meritorious and deserves to be allowed. Accordingly, the judgment of the court below delivered on April 8, 2019 is hereby set aside and the judgment of the trial court delivered on February 7, 2019 is restored and affirmed. The appeal is allowed.”
Other members of the panel, including the Acting CJN who headed it, agreed with the lead judgment.
Call Me First Lady Now, Not Wife Of The President — Aisha Buhari
The wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, on Thursday, announced her decision to be addressed as the First Lady of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
She said this would take effect immediately in order to resolve the issue of the title of wives of governors.
Aisha Buhari disclosed her new official title at the presentation of awards to the former and current wives of Governors of the 36 states.
The event held at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
“When my husband was newly elected, I personally chose to be called the wife of the President.
“But, I realised that it causes confusion from the state as to whether the wives of state governors are to be addressed as the first ladies or wives of the governors.
“So, forgive me for confusing you from the beginning, but now I chose to be called the first lady,” she said.