Connect with us

BIG STORY

BREAKING: OAU Sex-For-Marks Professor Bags 6 Years Jail Term

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Justice Maurine Onyetenu of the Federal High Court sitting in Osogbo, Monday sentenced former lecturer of Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, Prof. Richard Iyiola Akindele, to six years imprisonment for demanding sex to pass her student, Monica Osagie.

The accused had pleaded not guilty to the charge of sexual harassment preferred against him by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offenses Commission, ICPC. He had since then been remanded in prison custody following objection to his bail by the prosecution ICPC.

When the case came up on Monday, Akindele opted to change his earlier plea and admitted guilty of the offences as charged. He was arraigned before Justice onyetenu on November 19 for alleged sexual harassment.

Meanwhile, efforts by the defence counsel to suspend the sentencing and negotiate for plea bargain failed, as Justice Onyetenu frowned at the rampant cases of students harassment by lecturers.

Justice Onyetenu said “the plea bargain is not absolute. The court still have discretion.
“This kind of issue is too rampant in our tertiary institutions. We send children to school, they come home telling us that lecturers want to sleep with them.

“We can not continue like this. Somebody has to be used as example. Even primary schools pupils are complaining. Telling me to suspend sentence does not arise. Plea bargain does not arise. May be the case continue to occur and reoccur because someone has not been used as example.

“It is time for the court to start upholding the right of the children, especially female students. The case is endemic. Counsel to the defendant, Mr. Francis Omotosho, informed the court that the defendant has lost his job and has learnt his lesson.

He told the court that the University has discovered the mistake in the marking of the examination paper of the victim and has concluded plans to compensate her. The Counsel further told the court that plans are ongoing to make offices of the lecturers open by building the front side with glasses at OAU.

But, the Judge, who apparently not convinced with the prayer of the Counsel, said “do you think they do it in the office? They go to hotel. Counsel to the ICPC, Mr. Shogunle Adenekan, urged the court to confiscate the mobile phone of the defendant and forfeit it to the federal government, saying that sensitive materials were discovered there during forensic.

He also urged the court to grant order, releasing the mobile phone of the victim, Monica. After considering the plea bargaining entered and signed by the Counsels, the Judge said there is a need to deter other people because of the nature of the case.

In her judgement, Justice Onyetenu sentenced the convict to 24 months on count one, 24 months on count two, 1 year on count three and 1 year on count four. She said the jail term should run concurrently.

She also ordered that the Samsung X4 of the victim should be returned to her and the Samsung X8 of the convict should be forfeited to the federal government.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Supreme Court Rejects APC’s Request To Review Bayelsa Judgment, Upholds Judgment Sacking David Lyon

Avatar

Published

on

The supreme court has struck out the application of the All Progressive Congress (APC) seeking a reversal of the judgment which sacked David Lyon as the winner of the Bayelsa governorship election.

The apex court held that the application constitutes a gross abuse of the judicial process.

On February 13, the supreme court affirmed the verdict of a federal high court which disqualified Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, Lyon’s running mate, for allegedly submitting forged credentials to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

As a result, the court also voided the victory of Lyon on the grounds that both men contested the election on a joint ticket.

A seven-member panel of the court, led by Justice Sylvester Ngwuta, dismissed the two applications filed and argued for the applicants by Afe Babalola (SAN) and Wole Onanipekun (SAN), and held that the applications were without merit and amounted to an abuse of court process.

Justice Amina Augie, who read the lead ruling, said the application was an attempt to make the court violate its rules and the. provision of the Constitution which makes it the final court of the land.

Justice Augie said the applications if granted has the capacity of belittling the dignity and status of the court and open a floodgate for such requests in the future.

She expressed regret that senior lawyers in the country could be involved in the filing of such applications.

Justice Augie awarded N10milion cost for each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd respondents (the PDP, its governorship and deputy governorship in the last election) – Sen. Duoye Diri and. Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo – to be paid personally by the applicant’s lawyers.

Afe Babalola (SAN) represented the 1st and 2nd applicants (Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo), while Wole Olanipekun (SAN) represented the APC.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Lagos Government To Remove Bus Garage, Mechanic Workshops, Kiosks, Others Around Public Schools

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has disclosed that it would begin pulling down shanties, kiosks, and removal of bus garages, as well as other illegal market structures erected near the state public schools, a move said to take effect after seven days ultimatum issued to owners of those structures, by the government.

As said, the clearing, according to the ultimatum sighted by PorscheClassy News, would affect owners and occupants of illegal structures, shanties, mechanic workshops, kiosks and commercial bus garages surrounding public schools in Mile 2, along Badagry expressway.

The Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Unit (Taskforce), in a statement issued on Wednesday through its Public Affairs Unit Head, Adebayo Taofiq, confirmed that a seven-day ‘Removal Notice’ had been issued to owners of illegal structures and workshops located around public schools, and that, it was a decision which was made by the state government to ensure safety of students.

Taofiq explained that the task force chairman, CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi, had discussed ultimatum issuance with a gathering of illegal owners and occupants, as well as traders, mechanics and sectional heads of National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), and warned them to immediately vacate stipulated areas within vicinity of the schools within time allocated.

He affirmed that the removal order became imperative following an outcry by residents, particularly managements of Imoye High School and Amuwo Odofin Junior Secondary School, that criminal elements had turned the region into hideouts for carrying out their nefarious activities thereby making the environment unconducive for learning.

“These children are the future of our nation, it is thus, left to us, what we make of them,”

“In light of this, it has become necessary to facilitate conducive learning environments around our schools. It is disheartening to allow illegal business operators to turn schools surroundings to a market place while the vicinity becomes a dumpsite of refuse”.

Furthermore, Taofiq added that investigation conducted had revealed that the illegal structures and shanties served as home to criminal elements who rob unsuspecting members of public, making off with valuables along highways on Lagos- Badagry expressway, and added that the occupants had received no government permit or operating license from the state government.

He reiterated that, immediately after the expiration of the evacuation order notice on Monday, 3rd of March, 2020, Task Force operatives would embark on a clean-up exercise in the area, as well as a clampdown on all criminal elements.

The Task Force, however, cautioned traders and occupants not to make a financial contribution or bribe anyone in order to prevent or stop the removal order, stressing that the State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu had approved monetary compensation for those who deserved it.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Lagos Pastor, Wife Remanded In Prison For Stealing N63.5m Belonging To Dead Woman

Avatar

Published

on

An Ikeja Special Offences Court, Tuesday, remanded a pastor and his wife in custody of Nigeria Correctional Services (NCS) facility for allegedly stealing N63.5 million belonging to certain late Mrs. Odemuyiwa Janet Adeola.

The defendants, the senior pastor of Temple International Church, Lagos, Harry Uyanwanne and wife, Oluwakemi were arraigned alongside their church.

They are facing a seven-count charge of conspiracy to commit felony, stealing and obtaining money by false pretense contrary to section 278, 278 (1) (b), 285, 285(1) of the criminal law of Lagos state of Nigeria, No 11, 2011 and section 1 (2) and (3) Advance Fee Fraud and other Related Offenses Act before Justice Mojisola Dada.

Economic Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) prosecutor Mr. S.O Daji, told the court that the couple sold the property of one late Mrs. Odemuyiwa Janet Adeola at plot 32, block 9, Magodo Residential Scheme 1, Ikeja local government to one Mr. Kingsley Atere for N42, 000,000

He further stated that the defendants dishonestly converted the sum of N10 million being proceeded of the property of late Mrs. Odemuyiwa Janet Adeola to their own use.

According to the charge sheet, “Harry Uyanwanne, Oluwakemi Odemuyiwa (aka Kristein Uyanwanna) and Temple International Church on or about March 18, 2016, converted to your own use the sum of N10, 000,000 property of late Mrs. Odemuyiwa Janet Adeola.”

The charge further stated:” Harry Uyanwanne and Oluwakemi Odemuyiwa (aka Kristein Uyanwanne) on or about the 14th day of March 2016 in Lagos, by false pretense and with intent to defraud sold the property known as plot 32, Block 9, Magodo Residential Scheme 1, Ikeja local Government to one Mr. Kingsley Atere for the sum of N42million on the false representation that you were authorized to sell the property by the Bonafide owner, late Mrs. Odemuyiwa Janet Adeola which representation you know was false”.

The couple pleaded not guilty.

The prosecutor, Daji urged the court to remand them in view of the not guilty plea of defendants.

He also asked the court for a trial date.

Justice Dada remanded the defendants in the medium correctional facility.

She adjourned the matter until May 5, 6 and 7, 2020.

Continue Reading

Most Popular