Connect with us

BIG STORY

Be Guided! Sex In The Car In Public Is A Crime, Attracts 2-Year Jail Term —- Lagos Police Commissioner

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Police Command has warned Lagosians that having sex in the car is a crime that’s punishable with a 2-year stay in prison.

A couple having sex in a car parked in an isolated part of a neighborhood in Lagos State were recently harassed by a mob who posted their pictures on social media.

The incident sparked debates over the legality of car sex in the country, leading a Twitter user to ask the Head of the Nigeria Police Force’s Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit, ACP Yomi Shogunle, for clarification.

In response, ACP Shogunle said having sex in the car is not a crime unless the car is parked on the premises of a place of worship, or the sex is not between consenting adults or between people of the same sex.

However, according to the spokesperson of the Lagos Command, Shogunle’s statement was misplaced as he noted that the state has laws criminalising sex of any kind in public places.

While disclosing that the state’s Commissioner of Police, Edgal Imohimi, has received legal advice on the subject, Oti said indecent act in a public place makes both parties engaging in the act liable to imprisonment for two years.

He further noted that there’s a federal law applicable in every Nigerian state that criminalises indecent acts.

He said, “The CP Lagos has been advised by the Director of Public Prosecution of the state Ministry of Justice and the Legal Department of the State Police Command, Panti, Yaba, with relevant sections of the law as follows: Section 134 (a) Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015 prohibits any indecent act in any public place without lawful excuse.

“The law holds that such person is liable on conviction to two years’ imprisonment. Section 136 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 provides that any person who commits any act of gross indecency with another person in public commits an offence and liable on conviction to three years’ imprisonment.

“It must be noted that Section 134 which deals with offences against morality, particularly section 134 (a), has it that indecent act in a public place makes both parties engaging in the act liable to imprisonment for two years.

“In the same vein, Section 231 of the Criminal Code Act, which is a Federal law and applicable in states other than the northern states where Penal Code is applicable, also make Indecent Acts punishable.”

Imohimi dismissed Shogunle’s assertion and warned that Lagosians should be guided by relevant sections of the law against such acts.

BIG STORY

Buhari Did Not Sideline VP Osinbajo, He Only Tweaked Governance —– Femi Adesina

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

A source in the presidency has dismissed claims that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had been sidelined following President Muhammadu Buhari’s inauguration of an Economic Advisory Team (EAC) to replace the Economic Management Team (EMT).

While the EMT was headed by Osinbajo, the newly constituted EAC will report directly to President Buhari.

Speaking as a guest on Channels TV’s Politics Today, on Wednesday, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said all that the president had done particularly this week was just to “tweak governance and get the best for Nigerians”.

He also maintained that the presidency remains one and that there’s been too much suspicion and different kinds of inferences which he believes are only aimed at driving a wedge between both the President and the Vice President.

“The Vice President is the number two man in the country. the new economic advisory body can also relate with the Vice President as necessary.

“It’s just some Nigerians who want to drive a wedge between the President and the VP, that read meanings into everything and insinuate but there’s no need for that,” he said.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Ekiti Varsity Undergraduate Stabs Lover To Death Over N2,500

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

People wailed uncontrollably on Tuesday evening in Iworoko Ekiti, Irepodun/Ifelodun local government area of Ekiti State, as a female student of the Ekiti State University Ado Ekiti (EKSU) identified as Bukola Odeyemi, allegedly stabbed her boyfriend, John Iju, to death.

The murder, according to eyewitnesses, occurred at Treasure Base Hostel in Iworoko Ekiti.

Findings revealed that the 20- year old Odeyemi is a 300 level student of the Department of Biology Education while the deceased, who was 22, was also an EKSU student.

Witnesses said the incident occurred at about 10am at night and the fracas was said to have broken out after the suspect had demanded a sum N2,500 from the deceased to plait her hair in the saloon, which the victim had turned down.

A source said: “the refusal of the boyfriend to meet up with her demand resulted in hot argument, which angered the lady and they started fighting.

“During the fight, the lady saw a sharp knife on the tray and immediately brought it out and stabbed the deceased on the chest.

“The deceased who could not survive the deep cut fell on the floor with blood oozing out of his body. The people around there cried for help but that could not help. The man died on the spot”.

The deceased’s friends were said to have rushed to the police station at Iworoko to report the case.

Speaking with journalists on the telephone, the Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti State Command, DSP Caleb Ikechukwu confirmed the incident.

He added that that the suspect had been arrested and was now being detained at the police headquarters.

Ikechukwu explained that investigation had begun into the matter and the suspect will be charged to court as soon as his men conclude their findings.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Lagos Govt Gives N20,000 Each To 2nd Batch Of South Africa Returnees, Set To Train Them On Skill Acquisition

Avatar

Published

on

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday gave a sum of N20,000 to each of the second batch of 315 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the fresh batch of returnees arrived a week after another 187 Nigerians fleeing xenophobia came back from South Africa.

The joyous returnees arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 7.21p.m aboard an Air Peace B777 aircraft with registration number 5N-BWI.

The flight, which originated from the OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, was received by Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission and Air Peace Chairman, Mr Allen Onyema.

Also on ground was Mr Jermaine Sanwo-Olu, Senior Special Assistant to the Lagos State Governor on Diaspora.

Presenting the token on behalf of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Mr Jermaine Sanwo-Olu said that the money was a palliative for the returnees.

Sanwo-Olu said that the returnees from Lagos State would be transferred to the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF), where they would be trained on skill acquisition.

Dabiri-Erewa told newsmen that the returnees would be profiled according to their states and local governments of origin to complement the federal government’s effort in reintegrating them.

She said apart from giving the returnees stipends to get back to their respective states, there was also a medical team on ground to provide assistance to those with medical conditions.

Dabiri-Erewa also noted that the Nigeria High Commission was working with the South African authorities to reduce the unnecessary delays which had so far characterized the evacuation exercise.

On his part, Onyema told newsmen that some Nigerians were stranded in South Africa for over four years and could not return home due to financial difficulties and lack of proper documentation.

He said: “What Air Peace is doing to freely evacuate Nigerians from South Africa is part of our support to the President Muhammadu Buhari administration and we are doing it wholeheartedly.

“The airline is only asking the government to do what it has been doing to facilitate the smooth return of the Nigerians.

“We are not asking for any refund because we knew that the cost of evacuating the Nigerians will exceed N300 million at the end of the day.

“We are so happy that even our pilots and crew that went to South Africa refused to take their allowances saying that it is their own way of showing patriotism,” Onyema said.

He commended the Nigerian government for the matured diplomatic way it was handling the xenophobia issue with its South African counterpart and called on other well-meaning Nigerians to assist in the resettlement of the returnees.

One of the returnees, Chuks Okoma from Delta State, thanked God for sparing his life considering the ordeal faced by Nigerians in South Africa.

Okoma said that he had been in South Africa for six years without a job and sleeping in the street.

Another returnee, Michael Udoh, narrated how some foreigners were burnt in South Africa, adding that they were unable to move around.

Udoh, who had been in South Africa for six years, said that the country refused to renew his work permit after it expired, thus making him jobless.

Continue Reading

Most Popular