Connect with us

BIG STORY

Ezekwesili Kicks Off 2019 Presidential Campaign, Says She Remains ‘The Best Man For The Job’

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Presidential Candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), and former Minister of Education, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, on Sunday made history as the first presidential candidate to formally kick off her campaign for the 2019 elections.

Consequently, she has released gorgeous official photographs for the campaign, saying that she remained “the best man for the job.”

Hajiya Aisha Yesufu, Director of Special Projects for “Hope 2019”, the campaign organ of Ezekwesili, in a statement entitled “Here comes the best MAN for the job, the woMAN”, was of the opinion that she would deliver Nigerians from economic strangulation and fight for the masses.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had on Saturday released guidelines for campaigns, with the presidential and National Assembly campaigns kicking off yesterday.

While the campaign for Presidential and National Assembly elections commence on Sunday, campaigns for the governorship and State Houses of Assembly will commence December 1 2018.

Yesufu said: “The Obiageli ‘Oby’ Ezekwesili For President organization – Hope 2019 – has issued official campaign photos as it kicked off the INEC-approved campaign season.

“Hope 2019 campaign kicked-off officially on Sunday with a thanksgiving service in Abuja, after which the candidate will go to her home state, Anambra, to officially get blessings from the royal father and other elders of her community.

“We are excited and we can’t wait. The best MAN for the job in 2019 is definitely a woMAN and this woman we know by her track record, will #Fight4Naija.”

Ezekwesili had promised to “lift over 80 million people out of poverty” if voted into office in the 2019 general elections.

She had, therefore, challenged her rivals to “bring up their doable programmes to better the lots of citizens.”

About three weeks ago, Ezekwesili came so hard on President Muhammadu Buhari, describing him as the most corrupt, parochial, nepotistic and most partisan President ever produced in Nigeria.

She however advised those who believed that Atiku Abukakar is the alternative for the 2019 general elections, to have a rethink because “they are one and the same, Siamese twins of failure and destruction.”

Speaking during a World Press Conference in Lagos, former Vice President of the World Bank said while the All Progressives Congress (APC), deceived Nigerians with the empty mantra of change in 2015, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), was a failure.

At the event, she also unveiled her “Oby Ezekwesili Roadmap to Victory in 2019” tagged: #Fight4Naija

“2019 cannot be “Anyone but Buhari”. Our country is not a recycling plant for uninspiring old men with their old ideas and old dubious characters. We deserve better than their aggressive mediocrity. And that is why I am running for president – to lead a people’s movement that will permanently terminate bad leadership, retire these incompetents and fight for every Nigerian,” she stated.

BIG STORY

Ohaneze Speaks On Tinubu’s Plan To Contest For Presidency In 2023, Says Jagaban Should Back Out

Avatar

Published

on

The apex Igbo socio-political organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has reacted to reports claiming that National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu will run for the office of the president in 2023.

Ohanaeze’s Deputy Spokesperson, Chuks Ibegbu, in an exclusive interview with DAILY POST, said Tinubu should not run for presidency on the basis of morality.

Just last week, former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode had commended the APC National Leader for “aspiring” to be president in 2023.

Fani-Kayode had tweeted: “I am not in Bola Tinubu’s party but I commend him for having the courage to aspire to be President in 2023.

“How many southern politicians from either APC or PDP have had the guts to do that? If nothing else he has challenged the myth that the north owns Nigeria.”

However, Ibegbu alleged that most people in the South East are not comfortable with the former Lagos State Governor; hence he should not run for president.

According to Ibegbu: “Every Nigerian has the right to contest for any position but we are talking about morality now, Tinubu has the right, I Chuks Ibegbu has the right to be president of this country but we are talking about morality, justice, fairness and equity.

“Tinubu has the right to come out to be president but by right, equity and fairness he should not come out, he has no reason to come out morally.

“In the South West, many are not comfortable with him so he should not come out.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

I’ll End Apapa Gridlock Within 60 Days In Office, Tackle Menace Of BRT Drivers – Sanwo-Olu

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor-elect, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said he would end the protracted gridlock in the Apapa area of the state within the first 60 days of his administration.

So also did Sanwo-Olu, who spoke at an interactive session with his classmates at the Executive Master of Business Administration class, University of Lagos, 1998/2000 set, on Saturday promise to look into the operation of the Bus Rapid Transport in the state.

The incoming governor said the first step in solving the Apapa gridlock is to rid the area of trailers.

He said: “The Apapa trailer issue, it’s a campaign issue, it’s very serious.

“I’m going to take it very seriously.

“I believe that it is something that we are going to solve in the first 60 days of our government.

“Whatever is going to be required of us, we will take them out.

“There is a lot of politics being played around there.

“But no, it cannot be the way we’ll continue to live.

“We cannot continue to give excuses.

“Five or 10 years ago, if we had been forward-thinking, we would have also realised that the city had actually outgrown the Apapa Port.

“So, the long-term solution is to build another one.

“Our government, by the Grace of God, will start the Badagry Port.

“That is the long-term solution.”

On the recklessness of some BRT bus drivers, Sanwo-Olu said: “The BRT issue is something that has to do with culture.

“When we take over, by the Grace of God, we will advertise and see if we can employ some of our graduates as drivers.

“What I realized is that apart from the money we will be paying them, which is more than what they are paying an average graduate, we need to very quickly tell our people and encourage ourselves that there is dignity in work.

“We are going to be paying (them) between N80,000 and N100,000 to come and drive these buses because we expect a lot more decency.

“By the time we get the culture of the drivers’ right, the routes are coming up, by the time we finish the Abule-Egba/Iyana Ipaja/Ikeja route, it will boost the number of BRT.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Ganduje Dares Emir Sanusi, Says He’s No Longer The Only First Class Monarch In Kano

Avatar

Published

on

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has assured that the new additional four Emirates have come to stay, insisting that, they were created in good faith without any disdainful treatment to anybody or group of individuals.

He said this on Sunday while insisting that the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi is no longer the only first class monarch in the state.

Reiterating his complete and total support for smooth running of all the newly created Emirates in the state, he further challenged that, “As a son of a Village Head (Dagaci) how can I do something that would jeopardise the corporate existence of our long standing heritage?

Explaining that, “If you count my ancestors, not less than ten of them were village heads up to my biological father. So I really don’t understand when people say my government is up for harming this noble institution.”

The Governor dropped the hint when he paid a condolence visit to Rano Emir’s Palace over the death of the wife of Justice Wada Rano, Hajiya Khadija Wada Rano, after visiting the family house of the deceased all in Rano local government.

He added that when he was signing the Law establishing the four additional Emirate Councils of Rano, Bichi, Karaye and Gaya, he made it categorically clear that, the aim for the new Councils was primarily to push development closer to the people at the grassroot.

He said after inauguration for his second term in office, “We will come up with new and modern strategy for the development of our state. Such strategy would incorporate, at a more closer approach, our Emirate Councils. That was why we realised the need for having these Emirate Councils.”

He that his administration needed to give booster to the existing traditional institution, and “through waking up the sleeping traditional institution.”

He ordered the Emir to deal with the District Head of Bebeji who was said to have resigned his position in protest of the new Emirate Council, adding that, “If it is appears true that he resigned, the Emir can just send a representative there before the appointment of a substantive District Head.”

The Governor expressed satisfaction over some youth of Bebeji who staged a rally in support of the creation of Rano Emirate Council and who also called for the removal of the District Head of Bebeji, over his absenteeism.

Continue Reading

Most Popular