Connect with us

BIG STORY

One-Hour Power Outage At Lagos International Airport, Passengers Berates FAAN

Avatar

Published

on

Flight operations were on Wednesday evening disrupted at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos following a power outage.

The outage, which occurred at about 6.05pm and lasted for over an hour, sparked anger from those in and around the facility.

The situation placed the nation’s busiest airport in total darkness, leaving airline officials, passengers and other airport users frustrated as they could not proceed with the boarding processes.

An official of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), told NAN on condition of anonymity that the outage was caused by disruptions from the Ayobo and Ikeja Transmission Lines which supplies power to the facility.

“What happened was that there was intermittent disruption of the power supply and it was unstable during the period it lasted but it was eventually restored,” the source said.

The General Manager, Corporate Affairs, FAAN, Mrs Herrientta Yakubu, who confirmed the development, said power had been restored to the airport.

An aviation expert, Capt. John Ojikutu, decried the ugly development, saying as a Category 1 airport, the MMIA ought to have an independent power supply, especially in case of emergencies.

“FAAN is expected to have independent power line from Ikeja and Ayobo transmission lines as planned for MMIA in 2007; what has happened to that proposal?

“This is a shame on all of us including the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

“Again, how did NCAA certify the MMA if the power problem that could affect the airport safety facilities has not been resolved?

“We have a long way to go with the NCAA safety oversight functions,” he said.

BIG STORY

Ohaneze Speaks On Tinubu’s Plan To Contest For Presidency In 2023, Says Jagaban Should Back Out

Avatar

Published

on

The apex Igbo socio-political organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has reacted to reports claiming that National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu will run for the office of the president in 2023.

Ohanaeze’s Deputy Spokesperson, Chuks Ibegbu, in an exclusive interview with DAILY POST, said Tinubu should not run for presidency on the basis of morality.

Just last week, former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode had commended the APC National Leader for “aspiring” to be president in 2023.

Fani-Kayode had tweeted: “I am not in Bola Tinubu’s party but I commend him for having the courage to aspire to be President in 2023.

“How many southern politicians from either APC or PDP have had the guts to do that? If nothing else he has challenged the myth that the north owns Nigeria.”

However, Ibegbu alleged that most people in the South East are not comfortable with the former Lagos State Governor; hence he should not run for president.

According to Ibegbu: “Every Nigerian has the right to contest for any position but we are talking about morality now, Tinubu has the right, I Chuks Ibegbu has the right to be president of this country but we are talking about morality, justice, fairness and equity.

“Tinubu has the right to come out to be president but by right, equity and fairness he should not come out, he has no reason to come out morally.

“In the South West, many are not comfortable with him so he should not come out.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

I’ll End Apapa Gridlock Within 60 Days In Office, Tackle Menace Of BRT Drivers – Sanwo-Olu

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor-elect, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said he would end the protracted gridlock in the Apapa area of the state within the first 60 days of his administration.

So also did Sanwo-Olu, who spoke at an interactive session with his classmates at the Executive Master of Business Administration class, University of Lagos, 1998/2000 set, on Saturday promise to look into the operation of the Bus Rapid Transport in the state.

The incoming governor said the first step in solving the Apapa gridlock is to rid the area of trailers.

He said: “The Apapa trailer issue, it’s a campaign issue, it’s very serious.

“I’m going to take it very seriously.

“I believe that it is something that we are going to solve in the first 60 days of our government.

“Whatever is going to be required of us, we will take them out.

“There is a lot of politics being played around there.

“But no, it cannot be the way we’ll continue to live.

“We cannot continue to give excuses.

“Five or 10 years ago, if we had been forward-thinking, we would have also realised that the city had actually outgrown the Apapa Port.

“So, the long-term solution is to build another one.

“Our government, by the Grace of God, will start the Badagry Port.

“That is the long-term solution.”

On the recklessness of some BRT bus drivers, Sanwo-Olu said: “The BRT issue is something that has to do with culture.

“When we take over, by the Grace of God, we will advertise and see if we can employ some of our graduates as drivers.

“What I realized is that apart from the money we will be paying them, which is more than what they are paying an average graduate, we need to very quickly tell our people and encourage ourselves that there is dignity in work.

“We are going to be paying (them) between N80,000 and N100,000 to come and drive these buses because we expect a lot more decency.

“By the time we get the culture of the drivers’ right, the routes are coming up, by the time we finish the Abule-Egba/Iyana Ipaja/Ikeja route, it will boost the number of BRT.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Ganduje Dares Emir Sanusi, Says He’s No Longer The Only First Class Monarch In Kano

Avatar

Published

on

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has assured that the new additional four Emirates have come to stay, insisting that, they were created in good faith without any disdainful treatment to anybody or group of individuals.

He said this on Sunday while insisting that the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi is no longer the only first class monarch in the state.

Reiterating his complete and total support for smooth running of all the newly created Emirates in the state, he further challenged that, “As a son of a Village Head (Dagaci) how can I do something that would jeopardise the corporate existence of our long standing heritage?

Explaining that, “If you count my ancestors, not less than ten of them were village heads up to my biological father. So I really don’t understand when people say my government is up for harming this noble institution.”

The Governor dropped the hint when he paid a condolence visit to Rano Emir’s Palace over the death of the wife of Justice Wada Rano, Hajiya Khadija Wada Rano, after visiting the family house of the deceased all in Rano local government.

He added that when he was signing the Law establishing the four additional Emirate Councils of Rano, Bichi, Karaye and Gaya, he made it categorically clear that, the aim for the new Councils was primarily to push development closer to the people at the grassroot.

He said after inauguration for his second term in office, “We will come up with new and modern strategy for the development of our state. Such strategy would incorporate, at a more closer approach, our Emirate Councils. That was why we realised the need for having these Emirate Councils.”

He that his administration needed to give booster to the existing traditional institution, and “through waking up the sleeping traditional institution.”

He ordered the Emir to deal with the District Head of Bebeji who was said to have resigned his position in protest of the new Emirate Council, adding that, “If it is appears true that he resigned, the Emir can just send a representative there before the appointment of a substantive District Head.”

The Governor expressed satisfaction over some youth of Bebeji who staged a rally in support of the creation of Rano Emirate Council and who also called for the removal of the District Head of Bebeji, over his absenteeism.

Continue Reading

Most Popular