Connect with us

BIG STORY

Buhari And I Won’t Be Found Deceiving Nigerians —- Osinbajo

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

The Buhari administration is concerned about the plight of ordinary Nigerians and would continue to carry out programmes that would improve their lives, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN) has said.

Osinbajo said this on Monday on Brekete Family, a reality radio talk magazine programme on Human Rights Radio, Abuja, where he was featured.

During the programme, the Vice President emphasized: “The focus of our government is on how things can be better for the common man.

“We are not in the business of trying to deceive Nigerians.

“You can accuse me and the President of anything, but you will never find us deceiving Nigerians.”

While making references to the Buhari administration’s National Social Investment Programme, the VP noted that the administration is able to do so much more with fewer resources.

This, he said, is possible because “the President has ensured that nobody steals money from the treasury.

“The major problem Nigeria had before now was the fact that people stole from the nation’s coffers.

“Once the country is able to stop corruption, it would be better.

“The first thing we did was tackle unemployment by employing young men and women through the N-Power job scheme, which has so far employed 500,000 young graduates.”

The paid volunteer programme has a two-year duration, but it has now been extended for a batch.

Osinbajo said every state has N-Power, noting that there are plans to employ more because of the number of graduates.

He said: “This is a social safety net for young unemployed Nigerian graduates.

“So far, we have given about 400,000 MarketMoni loans, but the target is to give one million loans to artisans and traders, while TraderMoni loans is a N10,000 interest-free loans to petty traders, of which two million are expected to be reached in the first phase.”

He also highlighted the Federal Government’s Energizing Economies Initiative, which provides clean, affordable, and constant power to economic clusters such as big markets and Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises across Nigeria.

Last week Friday, the Vice President commissioned the Sura market Independent Power Project in Sura shopping complex in Lagos State, a 1.5MW independent mini-grid power supply system to provide clean and affordable electricity to over 1,000 shops in the market.

The Buhari administration’s Energizing Economies Initiative, which is being implemented by Rural Electrification Agency, is designed to provide clean, stable and affordable electricity to Nigerians in these economic clusters.

So far, thousands of shops in Sabon Gari in Kano State, Ariaria Market in Aba, Isinkan market in Akure in Ondo State, Edaiken market in Benin in Edo State and Sura market in Lagos have been provided solar power through the initiative.

Osinbajo told his radio audience: “Power is a major problem in Nigeria and our efforts is to solve this through alternative energy such as solar power.

“We are not relying on the national grid alone.

“We are also encouraging the private sector to provide power.

“The new strategy of the government is to put power in different places so as to make life easy for Nigerians without relying on the national grid.

“We are still working on the national grid.

“This country is very big, that’s why we have to decentralize.”

Speaking further on the benefits of the N-SIP, the Vice President assured Nigerians that the Home-Grown School Feeding Programme was authentic and was a major part of the administration’s plan to improve the lives of Nigerians.

Osinbajo said: “Currently, it feeds daily over nine million schoolchildren in public primary schools in 26 states.

“Also, the products are sourced from local farmers, which improve the local economy.”

Osinbajo further stated the administration’s commitment to developing the Niger Delta region and how its engagement has helped to maintain peace and stability in the region, which has also improved oil production and the country’s revenue.

The host of the programme, Ahmad Isah, popularly known as Ordinary President, as well as studio audience and callers, praised the Vice President and the Buhari administration for its commitment to the welfare of Nigerians and improving the country’s fortunes.

Isah also praised the administration’s efforts in paying the pension arrears of staff of Nigeria Airways and its Social Investment Programmes.

Likewise, callers and members of the studio audience commended the Buhari administration and the Vice President for showing exemplary leadership.

“Because of the importance he attaches to the family, development, and progress of this nation, the Vice President (having just returned from a trip to Lagos) came directly from the Abuja airport to be with us today,” Isah noted.

Noting that the government will look into complaints raised during the edition of the programme, the Vice President stated that he would choose liaison officers to look into complaints from listeners/viewers of the programme.

This was applauded by the audience and listeners.

One of the callers described the decision “as the best thing that has happened to us.”

During the programme, the Vice President met with Olympic medallist, Jerry Okorodudu, who had appealed for his salary arrears to be paid by the Ministry of Sports.

On his arrival to and departure from the popular Abuja radio station, the Vice President received a very warm welcome from a section of Nigerians who lined up the road leading to the station to receive him.

BIG STORY

Olisa Agbakoba Drags AGF To Court Over CJN’s Trial

Published

on

Constitutional lawyer and former President of Nigerian Bar Association, Chief Olisa Agbakoba, SAN, has dragged the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, to court over moves to arraign the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, over his alleged non-declaration of assets.

In the suit he lodged before the Federal High Court in Abuja, Agbakoba, through his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, maintained that the six-count charge pending against the CJN at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, in Abuja, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

He is praying the court to determine, “Whether having regard to the decision of the Court of Appeal in NgajiwaV FRN (2017) LPELR-43391 (CA) , the combined provisions of sections 6, 153,158,287(2), and 292(1) and Paragraph 21(b) of the 3rd Schedule to the 1999 Constitution, as altered and extant provisions of the Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers, the present charge in Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, does not amounr to flagrant and violent disregard of the provisions of the Constitution, due process of law, and, therefore, unconstitutional, null, void and of no effect whatsoever.

“Whether the 1st and 2nd defendants can competently file and maintain charges against Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, before the 3rd defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, or indeed any court or tribunal without prior recourse to the 4th defendant, the National Judicial Council, in accordance with constitutional provisions.

“Whether the 1st and 2nd defendants can maintain charges against Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, in Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 before the 3rd Defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, or indeed any Court or Tribunal without affording him adequate time and facilities for preparation of his defence.”

Upon determination of the legal questions, Agbakoba, prayed the court to among other things, declare that “the purported steps taken by the 1st and 2nd Defendants to arraign Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, before the 3rd Defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, on the basis of Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 filed therein, without prior recourse to the 4th Defendant, the National Judicial Council, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

“A declaration that the purported or proposed arraignment, of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the 3rd Defendant, on Monday 14th January, 2019, or on any other date whatsoever, on the basis Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 filed therein, without first having prior recourse to the 4th Defendant, the National Judicial Council, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void

“A declaration that the purported or proposed arraignment, of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the 3rd Defendant, on Monday 14th January, 2019, or on any other date whatsoever, without first being afforded sufficient time and facilities for preparation of his defence, is unconstitutional, null and void, being a gross violation of the provisions of Section 36 (6) (b) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

“A declaration that Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19, filed against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, by the 1stand 2nd Defendants, before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the 3rd Defendant, without first having prior recourse to the 4th Defendant, the National Judicial Council, is illegal, unlawful, wrongful, unconstitutional, null and void.

“An order of this Honourable Court, quashing and/or setting aside, in their entirety, all the charges preferred by the 1st and 2nd Defendants, against Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, before the 3rd Defendant, the Code of Conduct Tribunal, in Charge No:CCT/ABJ/01/19 and nullifying all steps taken by the 2nd and 3rd Defendants, leading to the said illegal and unconstitutional arraignment or proposed arraignment of Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, CJN before the 3rd Defendant.

Likewise, “An order of injunction by this Honourable Court, restraining the 1st and 2nd Defendants, whether by themselves, servants,privies or officers working under them, from maintaining the charges or taking any further steps towards maintenance and prosecution of any charges, against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, before the 3rd Defendant or any other Court or Tribunal, without first having recourse to the 4th Defendant”.

Aside from the AGF, other defendants in the suit are the Code of Conduct Bureau, the CCT and the National Judicial Council.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

MC Oluomo Discharged From Lagos Hospital, Travels Abroad

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

A chieftain of National Union of Road Transport Workers, Musiliu Akinsanya, a.k.a MC Oluomo, was on Tuesday night discharged from a Lagos hospital, where he was receiving treatment.

MC Oluomo was attacked at an All Progressives Congress rally in Ikeja on January 8, and was immediately taken to Eko Hospital, following injuries he sustained.

A correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria, who visited the Eko Hospital in Ikeja on Wednesday, gathered that MC Oluomo left the hospital on Tuesday night after payment of over N2 million medical bill.

A very reliable source, who preferred anonymity, told NAN that the NURTW leader may have left for the United States immediately he was discharged from hospital on Tuesday night.

The source said: “He is very fine and has nothing to worry about his health after his treatment at the hospital. Before he finally left on Tuesday night, he was receiving a lot of well-wishers.

“Sometimes, he moves around and sometimes walks his visitors to the corridor, so he was in a sound health before leaving the hospital.

“Few days before he left the hospital, his associates were making arrangements for his trip.”

NAN also observed that there was no more police presence around the hospital, as the three police vehicles stationed there had been removed.

The Lagos State Police Command had said it arrested some suspects and also declared wanted another NURTW chieftain over the disruption of the APC rally in Lagos.

The Command’s spokesperson, CSP Chike Oti, had said that those arrested in connection with the incident were helping the police in their investigation.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Fake News: EFCC To Detain Odumakin, Fani-Kayode For At Least 14 Days

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has vowed to detain a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, and the spokesman of Afenifere, Yinka Odumakin, for allegedly spreading fake news on the invasion of the residence of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, by the anti-graft agency.

This was disclosed on Wednesday by the spokesman of the EFCC, Tony Orilade, in Abuja.

Although Fani-Kayode has apologized for the dissemination of the fake news , the agency is expecting him and Odumakin to appear in its office or get arrested.

Orilade said: “They are expected to be in our office this evening to interrogate them on the source of the news and if they fail to talk, the agency will secure an order to detain them for 14 days.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular