Connect with us

BIG STORY

2019: Senator Ben Bruce Withdraws From Senatorship Race, Gives Reasons [Full Statement]

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Ben Murray Bruce, the Senator representing Bayelsa East Senatorial District, on Monday withdrew from the senatorial race.

Ben Bruce revealed in a letter posted on his Facebook page.

Read his full statement:

Letter of withdrawal from the Bayelsa East Senatorial Race

I thank God and the good people of Brass, Bayelsa East Senatorial District who offered me the golden opportunity four years ago to represent them and the state in the Senate, Nigeria’s highest lawmaking chamber.

It is without a doubt that I have tried to discharge my duties as a legislator and representative of my people creditably to the best of my ability so far.

My voice has been very loud on the issues that matter to our people and our country at all time.

My support to our party, my people and state government is unquestionable. I am humbled that the national leadership of my party supported by the State chapter in appreciation of my efforts offered to support my re-election to the Senate to continue my service.

I have also intensified consultations in the last couple of week in the course of which I have come to realize an existing local rotational arrangement of over 20 years beginning with the late Great Chief Melford Okilo, by which arrangement the Senatorial seat rotates per local government area among the three councils for four years in the Senatorial District.

Even with the support of my party at the National and state levels with the full backing of my state government and leadership, as a man of honour interested in the well being of my people, I hereby announce my withdrawal from the Senatorial race.

I do not want whatever reason to appear to have used my privileged position and influence to do anything that other than the well-being and the stability and the good of the people. I am in all of these for the people, not for myself.

Once again, I thank the former President, Dr. Goodluck Ebelo Jonathan, the National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, my colleagues in the Senate and Governor of Bayelsa State, the Honourable Henry Seriake Dickson for their support and encouragement.

I also thank the leadership of my Senatorial District and state, for being there for me.

I thank specially the people of my constituency for their trust and confidence in me to serve and represent them in the Senate.

By trusting me with this mandate, I have come to know them and our people even better, an experience I will never forget for the rest of my life.

I am indeed grateful to my darling wife, my children, other members of my family for their support and prayers. I appreciate the efforts of my hardworking campaign staff for their support and dedication.

Again, I thank the leadership of the party for their continuing support. I also assured the party of my availability and readiness to serve at any capacity when the opportunity comes. Best Regards Senator Ben Murray Bruce.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

“Nigerian Elections Postponement, Divine”, Apostle Suleman’s Prophecy Confirmed

Published

on

Popular Nigerian pastor, Apostle Johnson Suleman, has said that the sudden postponement by the INEC of the general general elections was divinely mandated.

Suleman was reacting to the eleventh hour shifting of the presidential and national assembly elections which ought to have taken place on Saturday, February 16, 2019. The INEC, after an emergency meeting with stakeholders, also shifted the governorship and house of assembly elections earlier billed for March 2 to March 9, 2019.

In a two-minutes video going viral on the social media, Suleman, who said the postponement of the elections did confirm the message he received on January 10, 2019 and relayed to his congregation and the public via the video that the conduct of the 2019 general elections was shaky.

In the said video clip, he Edo State born General Overseer of Omega Fire Ministries (OFM), is seeing telling his audience that; “You will be shocked. They will fight themselves. They will be against themselves. They will shame themselves. Can I surprise you; if we do not pray well, I don’t see election. i saw a date that was shifted if we don’t pray. They will give you reasons; there was security threat, there was violence, and because of these we are moving the elections forward. It is just a scam.”

Speaking, Apostle Suleman warned that election should not be turned to war as it must be seen to be free, fair and acceptable to every Nigerian, irrespective of tribe and political leanings. “Unless the authorities do the needful in a way that conforms with what God’s rules, God is not finished with Nigeria yet,’ states Apostle Suleman.

See video below;

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

JUST IN: CCT Grants Suspended CJN, Justice Onnoghen Bail As He Pleads Not Guilty To Charges

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, Friday granted the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, bail on self-recognition and, adjourned to March 11, for hearing of all pending applications.

This development followed an oral bail application made by the defence counsel, Chris Uche, SAN, after Onnoghen pleaded not guilty to the six count-charge preferred against him by the complainant – the Federal Government of Nigeria.

The six count-charge were subsumed that aside allegation that he failed to disclose his assets as prescribed by law, FG, in the charge that was filed by the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, equally accused the CJN of operating foreign bank accounts.

It also alleged that contrary to relevant laws regulating the conduct of public office holders, the CJN, maintained a domiciliary foreign currencies account that comprised use of Dollars Account, Pound Sterling Account and Euro Account.

However, before the tribunal proceeded with the matter, Uche pleaded that the order or warrant of arrest slammed against his client be vacated.

In his words, “We are here for the arraignment but before the tribunal proceeds, it will be recalled that there are applications pending.

“It was the view by way of the majority decision of this tribunal that the defendant must appear.

“And here is the defendant. But may I plead that the order of the bench warrant be discharged before proceedings “.

In reaction, the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar conveyed approval but said it would be on the condition that the CJN makes himself available whenever needed.

Also, after the vacation of the order of warrant of arrest and Onnoghen pleaded not guilty to the aforesaid charges, Uche, again rose to apply for an adjournment over which the prosecuting counsel, Musa Ibrahim did not object.

On this premise, the tribunal chairman acceded to the application and adjourned the case to March 11, for hearing of all pending applications.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Nnamdi Kanu Calls Off Election Boycott, Asks Igbo To Vote En Masse On Saturday

Published

on

Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has called off the election boycott in the south-east region of the country.

In an audio message made by the IPOB leader, Kanu also asked the Igbo to come out in their numbers and vote during Saturday’s presidential election.

Kanu had been calling on the Igbo to boycott any election held in Nigeria until the government agrees to a referendum regarding IPOB’s quest for a sovereign state of Biafra.

On Wednesday, just two days ago, he told BBC Igbo that IPOB will ‘shut down’ the south-east and ensure voting does not take place in the area.

In the broadcast obtained Thursday night, Kanu said unnamed individuals have met the demands given by the group before any election could be held in the south-east.

He said: “Earlier today, February 14, 2019, I received confirmation from our team that all of our pre-conditions played before those kicking off to call off the elections have been met. And in view of that, I hereby lift the boycott of elections.

“IPOB was very steadfast, we have fought a very good battle; we have made it very clear to all and sundry that we are very determined and this is victory for IPOB and for the emancipation of Biafra.”

Kanu expressed hope that those who agreed to the group’s demands will implement them.

He asked the Igbo to spread the “good news” but added the group’s resolve remains the same: a sovereign state of Biafra.

“We said it from the beginning, nobody should expect us to participate in any form of elections unless our demands are met. And I am glad to tell you that they have acceded to our demands and it will be fully implemented,” he said.

“I therefore ask each and everyone of you to take this good news to all our towns and villages that the boycott has been lifted. And we will all go about on the 16th of February to discharge whatever duties we have or whatever beliefs … for groups and individuals.

“Never again will they take IPOB for granted, and never again will people underrate our resolve. We have showed it to them and we shall continue to demonstrate it until Biafra republic is restored. I thank you very much and may God be with you.”

It is not clear who the IPOB leader is rooting for in Saturday’s presidential election.

But it is obvious neither of the two front line candidates – President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) – has his support.

While he claims Buhari is “dead” and being replaced by a “clone” in Aso Rock, he says Abubakar is a Cameroonian by birth and does not have the constitutional right to run for president.

Continue Reading

Most Popular