Connect with us

BIG STORY

“I Was Naive, Never Knew My Certificate Was Forged” …Kemi Adeosun Speaks On NYSC Scandal

Published

on

Former Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, has given reasons for her decision to resign from her position in President Buhari’s cabinet.

In her resignation letter, the former minister noted that she was shocked by the outcome of the investigation done on the allegation showing that her NYSC certificate which she had earlier tendered as Commissioner for Finance in Ogun State was not genuine.

She said not until the scandal broke out she never knew the certificate was not genuine.

Her letter read in part, “Let me commence by thanking you profusely for the honour and privilege of serving under your inspirational leadership.

“It has been a truly rewarding experience to learn from you and to observe at close quarters your integrity and sense of duty.

“I have, today, become privy to the findings of the investigation into the allegation made in an online medium that the Certificate of Exemption from National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) that I had presented was not genuine.

“This has come as a shock to me and I believe that in line with this administration’s focus on integrity, I must do the honourable thing and resign.

“Your Excellency, kindly permit me to outline some of the backgrounds to this matter.

“I was born and raised in the United Kingdom, indeed my parental family home remains in London. My visits to Nigeria up until the age of thirty-four (34) were holidays, with visas obtained in my UK passport.

“I obtained my first Nigerian passport at the age of thirty-four (34) and when I relocated there was debate as to whether NYSC Law applied to me. Upon enquiry as to my status relating to NYSC, I was informed that due to my residency history and having exceeded the age of thirty (30), I was exempted from the requirement to serve.

Until recent events, that remained my understanding.

“On the basis of that advice and with the guidance and assistance of those, I thought were trusted associates, NYSC were approached for documentary proof of status. I then received the certificate in question. Having never worked in NYSC, visited the premises, been privy to nor familiar with their operations, I had no reason to suspect that the certificate was anything but genuine.

“Indeed, I presented that certificate at the 2011 Ogun State House of Assembly and in 2015 for Directorate of State Services (DSS) Clearance as well as to the National Assembly for screening. Be that as it may, as someone totally committed to a culture of probity and accountability I have decided to resign with effect from Friday, 14th September, 2018.”

She also thanked Buhari for his patience in finding the truth in the matter.
She stated, “Your Excellency, let me conclude by commending your patience and support, during the long search for the truth in this matter.

“I thank you again for giving me the honour of serving under your leadership, it is a rare privilege, which I do not take for granted.

“As a Nigerian and committed progressive, I appreciate you for your dogged commitment to improving this nation.”

Thanking the President for the opportunity to serve she said, “Your Excellency, It has been an exceptional privilege to have served our nation under your leadership and to have played a role in steering our economy at a very challenging time. I am proud that Nigeria has brought discipline into its finances, has identified and is pursuing a path to long-term sustainable growth that will unlock the potential in this great economy.

“Under your leadership, Nigeria was able to exit recession and has now started to lay the foundations for lasting growth and wealth creation. Repositioning this huge economy is not a short-term task and there are no shortcuts, indeed there are tough decisions still to be made but I have no doubt that your focus on infrastructural investment, revenue mobilisation and value for money in public expenditure will deliver growth, wealth and opportunity for all Nigerians.

“I thank His Excellency, the Vice President and my colleagues in the Federal Executive Council for the huge pleasure and honour of working with them. I also thank most especially, the team in the ‘Finance Family’ of advisers and heads of agencies under the Ministry of Finance. Your Excellency, this group of committed Nigerians represent a range of backgrounds, ethnicities and ages.

“They have worked well above and beyond the call of duty to support me in the tasks assigned. The diversity in my team and their ability to work cohesively to deliver reforms convinces me that Nigeria has the human capital required to succeed.”

BIG STORY

JUST IN: CCT Grants Suspended CJN, Justice Onnoghen Bail As He Pleads Not Guilty To Charges

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, Friday granted the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, bail on self-recognition and, adjourned to March 11, for hearing of all pending applications.

This development followed an oral bail application made by the defence counsel, Chris Uche, SAN, after Onnoghen pleaded not guilty to the six count-charge preferred against him by the complainant – the Federal Government of Nigeria.

The six count-charge were subsumed that aside allegation that he failed to disclose his assets as prescribed by law, FG, in the charge that was filed by the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, equally accused the CJN of operating foreign bank accounts.

It also alleged that contrary to relevant laws regulating the conduct of public office holders, the CJN, maintained a domiciliary foreign currencies account that comprised use of Dollars Account, Pound Sterling Account and Euro Account.

However, before the tribunal proceeded with the matter, Uche pleaded that the order or warrant of arrest slammed against his client be vacated.

In his words, “We are here for the arraignment but before the tribunal proceeds, it will be recalled that there are applications pending.

“It was the view by way of the majority decision of this tribunal that the defendant must appear.

“And here is the defendant. But may I plead that the order of the bench warrant be discharged before proceedings “.

In reaction, the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar conveyed approval but said it would be on the condition that the CJN makes himself available whenever needed.

Also, after the vacation of the order of warrant of arrest and Onnoghen pleaded not guilty to the aforesaid charges, Uche, again rose to apply for an adjournment over which the prosecuting counsel, Musa Ibrahim did not object.

On this premise, the tribunal chairman acceded to the application and adjourned the case to March 11, for hearing of all pending applications.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Nnamdi Kanu Calls Off Election Boycott, Asks Igbo To Vote En Masse On Saturday

Published

on

Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has called off the election boycott in the south-east region of the country.

In an audio message made by the IPOB leader, Kanu also asked the Igbo to come out in their numbers and vote during Saturday’s presidential election.

Kanu had been calling on the Igbo to boycott any election held in Nigeria until the government agrees to a referendum regarding IPOB’s quest for a sovereign state of Biafra.

On Wednesday, just two days ago, he told BBC Igbo that IPOB will ‘shut down’ the south-east and ensure voting does not take place in the area.

In the broadcast obtained Thursday night, Kanu said unnamed individuals have met the demands given by the group before any election could be held in the south-east.

He said: “Earlier today, February 14, 2019, I received confirmation from our team that all of our pre-conditions played before those kicking off to call off the elections have been met. And in view of that, I hereby lift the boycott of elections.

“IPOB was very steadfast, we have fought a very good battle; we have made it very clear to all and sundry that we are very determined and this is victory for IPOB and for the emancipation of Biafra.”

Kanu expressed hope that those who agreed to the group’s demands will implement them.

He asked the Igbo to spread the “good news” but added the group’s resolve remains the same: a sovereign state of Biafra.

“We said it from the beginning, nobody should expect us to participate in any form of elections unless our demands are met. And I am glad to tell you that they have acceded to our demands and it will be fully implemented,” he said.

“I therefore ask each and everyone of you to take this good news to all our towns and villages that the boycott has been lifted. And we will all go about on the 16th of February to discharge whatever duties we have or whatever beliefs … for groups and individuals.

“Never again will they take IPOB for granted, and never again will people underrate our resolve. We have showed it to them and we shall continue to demonstrate it until Biafra republic is restored. I thank you very much and may God be with you.”

It is not clear who the IPOB leader is rooting for in Saturday’s presidential election.

But it is obvious neither of the two front line candidates – President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) – has his support.

While he claims Buhari is “dead” and being replaced by a “clone” in Aso Rock, he says Abubakar is a Cameroonian by birth and does not have the constitutional right to run for president.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Hot Iron Inserted Into Private Part Of LG Boss, Governor Demands Arrest Of Perpetrators

Published

on

The Commissioner of Police in Ebonyi State, Awosola Awotunde, has been directed to fish out those who allegedly inserted hot iron inside the private part of the Vice Chairman of Ikwo Local Government Area of the state.

Governor David Umahi gave the directive on Thursday, when the new police boss paid him a courtesy visit at the Government House, Abakiliki.

Umahi, who expressed bitterness over the incident, described it as “barbaric”.

He said: “The hoodlums inserted a hot iron inside the private part of the vice chairman, while they cut the tendons of some men in the area.

“I have demanded for the immediate arrest of the perpetrators and would never allow the matter to go untreated.

“I will follow the matter up to any level, even reporting it to President Muhammadu Buhari because the victims were actually kidnapped.”

The governor said he always insisted on fairness and justice to all and had never abused his office to order that anyone be punished unjustly.

Umahi said: “I have always maintained that whether it is the Peoples Democratic Party or All Progressive Congress, among others, the life of every human being is important to us.

“I hate to see blood and your officers can attest that I have never supported evil.”

Umahi said he had always propagated the philosophy “that all perpetrators of evil must be arrested and prosecuted, even if they are my brothers or sisters.”

He pledged to cooperate with the new CP but insisted that his work would only be made tedious “if a man is made a woman.”

He said: “Where there is fairness, there is no crisis as someone without a gun can neutralise another with a gun by insisting on his right, which should not be marched upon.

“The main opposition party in the state boasts it would write the election result and use the federal might on us but I declare that we pay the federal might.

“Everybody owns the federal might and the present Inspector-General of Police and the Director-General of the Department of State Services do not break the law.

“We have actually prepared for this election with anti-terrorism trainings to guard against intimidation of the common man in the state.”

Governor Umahi further said he would on Friday expose a tape where a candidate of the main opposition party in the state revealed how they intended to foment trouble during the elections.

He said: “I also learnt they are bringing in thugs who are camped in Enugu but fortunately, I am paying one of them.

“I am trailing them and when they arrive in the state, we will round them up with the assistance of security agencies.

“Any of them that we apprehend on our own would be kept in the state until after the elections.”

Earlier, Awotunde thanked the governor for the reception and assured the people that the police would be nonpartisan during the elections.

He said: “The whole world is focusing on Nigeria and we are assuring all the political parties of a level playing ground during the elations.

“We would ensure that peace reigns before, during and after the elections, while also ensuring that no soul is lost during the exercise.

“We also pledge our loyalty to your government and would do our jobs as professionals.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular