Connect with us

NEWS

New Minimum Wage: Labour Gives FG 14-day Ultimatum, Plans Nationwide Strike

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Labour leaders in Nigeria, on Wednesday, cautioned the Federal Government to stop foot-dragging on the New Minimum Wage and allow the tripartite committee conclude its job to avoid an industrial crisis.

The labour leaders, who are members of the Minimum Wage Committee, at a joint news conference addressed in Lagos, gave the federal government 14 days to ensure that the committee concludes its work or be ready to face industrial action.

Mr. Ayuba Wabba, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) President, said that the committee was not pleased with the comments alleged to have been made by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige.

According to him, Ngige had last week allegedly said that the committee should adjourn indefinitely to enable him to do further consultations with the government.

”We view his supposed pronouncement with great concern, suspicion and outrage”, NAN quoted him as saying.

“This new antic certainly is not acceptable to Nigerian workers, who had expected a New National Minimum Wage since 2016″.

The NLC president said that in the course of the meeting, the committee members had time to consult and received memoranda and inputs from 21 state governments, Specialized Agencies of the Federal Government, the Organized Private Sector, Organised Labour and the general public.

Mr Joe Ajaero, President of the United Labour Congress, (ULC) said that issues concerning the minimum wage have been concluded and that the committee was expecting government representative to pronounce their own figure.

Ajaero, however, refused to give a likely figure that could be approved as minimum wage and also did not give a clear answer on whether the government was sincere in paying the new wage.

He said that the call for a new minimum wage became necessary because it was already overdue and in view of the increasing cost of goods and services.

The news conference was attended by top labour leaders from NLC, TUC and ULC.

NEWS

Olatoye Sugar’s Family Sues UCH N200m For Releasing Horrific Photo Lawmaker [PHOTO]

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

For releasing the photograph, the Olatoye family is seeking N200 million damages.

C. C. Amedu of Ikeh Sunday Chambers in Ibadan filed the petition on behalf of the Olatoye family, which is accusing the hospital of allowing the gory photographs of the late lawmaker in his dying hours at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital to be circulated on social media, thereby causing members of his family a lot of grief.

The petition was also sent to the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, and the Ibadan chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association.

It reads in part: “A cursory assessment of the attached photographs revealed that the deceased, as at the time the photographs were taken, was still at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital in a pool of blood. Therefore, it is reasonable and unarguable to believe that only your staff could access the unit at the material time.

“The above conduct of your staff suggested that instead of your personnel on duty to have acted in their full professional capacity, focusing on taking care of the deceased, which might have probably saved his life, they were busy taking his pictures, which perhaps for the purpose of selling same to social media operators as it can be seen trending online.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

Ganduje Issues Strong Warning Ahead Of Kano Election Rerun

Avatar

Published

on

Ahead of the supplementary elections in Kano on Saturday, Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, has warned that his government will not tolerate any breach of peace by any group or persons in the state.‎

‎Ganduje gave the warning on Tuesday in Kano, when an amalgam of 320 associations called Kano Peace Ambassadors, paid him a solidarity visit.‎

“We will not tolerate breach of peace under whatever guise, and the government will not fold its arms and watch people instigating instability in the state.‎

“As a governor of Kano state and the Chief Security Officer of the state, I cannot sleep if any drop of blood is wasted.

‎”I am not speaking as a gubernatorial candidate, but as the executive governor of Kano state and the chief security officer of the state. Anybody wishing to disrupt the peace of the state will not go scot-free,” he said.‎

Continue Reading

NEWS

Drama In Kano As Ganduje’s Aide Resigns Over Governor’s Refusal To Concede Defeat In Kano Guber Race

Avatar

Published

on

Alhaji Hashim Suleiman, the Senior Special Assistant on Urban Beautification to Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has tendered his letter of resignation to Secretary to the State Government.

In his resignation letter, he attributed his reason to the failure of Governor Ganduje to concede defeat to the Guber candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Engineer Abba Kabir Yusuf, who won the election that has been declared inconclusive in controversial circumstances by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The letter of resignation, dated, Wednesday, March 13, 2019, which he personally signed, reads, ”I write to formally inform you of my voluntary resignation from the office of SSA, Beautification.

“I thank you for offering me the opportunity to serve under your administration as SSA.”

He added that as a transparent Khadimul-Islam, the governor ought to have conceded defeat, so as to serve as a precedent to other Muslims, who serve Allah in truth and sincerity.

Continue Reading

Most Popular