Connect with us

BIG STORY

How N45m Used To Buy Buhari’s Nomination Forms Was Raised — Amaechi

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, said on Tuesday that the Expression of Interest and Nomination forms presented to President Muhammadu Buhari was purchased by a large number of people who made contributions.

Amaechi, who is also the Director-General, Buhari Campaign Organisation, made this clarification while briefing State House correspondents shortly after the forms were presented to Buhari at the presidential villa.

A group known as Nigeria Consolidation Ambassador Network (NCAN) presented Expression of Interest and Nomination forms to Buhari for the 2019 presidential election.

The group said it purchased the forms to encourage the president to seek re-election and continue his developmental strides.

Amaechi said that the gesture showed that the All Progressives Congress (APC) was ready for the 2019 election.

“This is a group of persons; some people paid less than N1 million; some paid N50,000; it is a group of hundreds of thousands of people that came together to buy the form for the president.

“I do not see any law we have broken by that.

“Not one person bought the form for Mr President; not one person brought the money; not two persons; not three; what we saw from their database is hundreds of thousands of persons that raised the money.

“You can the huge delegation that came; it is an indication that we are prepared for the election.

“The president has put the first step forward to show that he wants to run for the second time for the presidency of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,’’ he said.

On his part, APC’s National Secretary, Alhaji Mai Mala Buni, said that even in advanced democracies, once the National Executive Committee (NEC) of a party passed a vote of confidence on the president, nobody would contest with him.

According to Buni, NEC is the highest organ of the party to take decisions where every interest is represented.

“So, NEC of APC has passed a vote of confidence on Mr President; that means every APC member endorsed Mr President.

“it is a democracy, we are not saying nobody should come out and contest but the president has right of first refusal,’’ he said.

More so, Farouk Aliyu, Chairman, Board of Trustees (NCAN), told State House correspondents in an interview that the forms were purchased with contributions from across the country.

He said the NCAN was excited that Buhari accepted the forms, adding that the group would go back to their localities and work towards the re-election of Buhari in the 2019 presidential polls.

“What motivated the young Nigerians to buy the forms is their belief that whatever the president is doing is for the future of the younger ones,’’ he said

APC had earlier pegged its presidential nomination fee to N55 million but later reduced it to N45 million.

(NAN)

BIG STORY

I’m Ready For APC Primaries, Not Stepping Down For Anyone —- Jide Sanwo-Olu

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Lagos governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Babajide Olushola Sanwo-Olu, has reacted to reports that he has withdrawn from the race.

The former commissioner has the backing of Mandate Movement, a group loyal to APC national leader, Bola Tinubu.

He had also been endorsed by the 57 chairmen of local government and council development areas, top party chieftains, PSP operators, and most recently all 337 ward chairmen in the state.

In a statement on Monday, by Comrade Sesan Daini, Director of Media, Babajide Olushola Sanwo-Olu Campaign Organisation (BOSCO), said the claim that the aspirant won’t contest in Saturday’s primaries was false.

“We hereby state unequivocally that the purported press statement did not emanate from our Principal, Babajide Olushola Sanwo-Olu, rather it is the handiwork of jittery members of the opposition to malign our Principal and mislead members of the public.

“For the umpteenth time, Mr. Babajide Olushola Sanwo-Olu has not and will not withdraw from this race and he is ready for the party primaries slated for Saturday, 29th of September, 2018.

“BOSCO is not oblivious of the fact that these cheap attempts to mislead and hoodwink members of our party and the general public will be made by these disgruntled elements but we will continue to repeal their falsehood with facts.

“Our Principal remains committed to his campaign while still consulting with party leaders and members and would not be distracted by cheap blackmails like this.

“We want to use this opportunity to urge our teeming party faithful to troop out en masse on Saturday, 29th September of 2018 to cast their votes for Babajide Olushola Sanwo-Olu to be the Flagbearer of our great party, All Progressives Congress (APC), in the forthcoming general elections in 2019.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

President Buhari Arrives In New York Ahead Of UNGA73

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has arrived New York ahead of the 73rd Session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA73) which officially opened on Sept. 18.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the president accompanied by his wife, Aisha, departed the presidential wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja on Sunday morning and had arrived in New York on Monday.

The theme for this year’s Session is: “Making the United Nations relevant to all People: Global Leadership and Shared Responsibilities for Peaceful, Equitable and Sustainable Societies.”

A statement earlier issued in Abuja on Saturday by the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, said the high point of Buhari’s participation would be his address on Tuesday to the General Assembly on the opening day of the General Debate.

According to him, the President’s presentation of Nigeria’s National Statement is expected to reaffirm the nation’s commitment to international peace and security and sustainable socio-economic development.

He said the presentation would also cover the areas of disarmament and denuclearisation, youth and women empowerment, climate change, rule of law and human rights, among others.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

National Assembly Postpones Resumption, New Date Announced

Published

on

The National Assembly will not be resuming from its recess on September 25, 2018, as earlier fixed.

The cancellation of the resumption of the Senate and House of Representatives was contained in a statement by the Clerk to the National Assembly, M.A. Sani-Omolori, on Sunday.

The new resumption date was put as October 9, 2018.

Sani-Omolori said: “This is to inform all Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members that resumption of plenary session earlier scheduled for Tuesday, 25th September has been postponed to Tuesday 9th October due to the activities of the primaries of the political parties.

“All Distinguished Senators and Honourable members are expected to resume the plenary session by 10 am on the 9th of October, please.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular