Connect with us

A 48-year-old mother of six, Ebere Dike has been arrested for the death of her lover, Otti-Oriekpa Mike, at the Morogbo area of Ikorodu, Lagos State.

The deceased, a businessman, was said to have died after he met another man, simply identified as Samuel, in the apartment he rented for his lover.

The incident was said to have occurred last weekend.

It was learnt that when Mike saw Samuel in the apartment, an argument ensued, during which he was said to have angrily left the apartment.

Confusion, however, set in after the discovery of his lifeless body by the side of his vehicle, which was parked downstairs.

When Policemen from Morogbo Police Station were contacted, they went to the scene and arrested Dike.

She was later transferred to the Homicide Section of the Lagos State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Panti, Yaba.

A relative of the deceased, who gave his name simply as Imokwe, said: “My late brother was not living with the woman.

“She only had a baby girl for him and had five children with her former husband.

“On that fateful day, he visited her without prior notice, only to find another man with her.”

Dike, had, however, denied that Mike was attacked and killed as was being alleged and suspected by the police.

She explained that Mike slumped during an argument with his alleged rival.

Dike said: “Mike accused me of cheating on him when he saw Samuel, my business partner, with me.

“He got angry and walked out of the apartment.

“When he got downstairs, he kicked started his car, but it didn’t respond.

“Samuel also became angry with me and walked out of the room.

“On getting downstairs, he met Mike still battling to fix his car.

“They started quarrelling and in the process, Mike slumped on the spot.

“Nobody fought with him.”

It was gathered that in her earlier statement at Morogbo Police Station, Dike refused to mention Samuel’s surname until she got to SCIID.

As at the time of writing this report, Samuel’s whereabouts are unknown.

His phone line had been switched off.

The case was further complicated when Dike denied knowing where Samuel resides.

An autopsy was carried out on the deceased.

The result showed that Mike was hypertensive and died of cardiac arrest.

There were no marks of violence on his body.

As at Wednesday, the case had been sent to the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions for advice.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Many Trapped As Another Building Collapses In Oke-Arin, Lagos Island [VIDEO]

Avatar

Published

on

Occupants of a building in the Oke Arin part of Lagos Island are currently trapped following the collapse of a house at Egerton Square.

The incident,we gathered, happened around 3:45pm on Monday.

Officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LABCA) were demolishing a house beside the building when it caved in.

Kehinde Adebayo, spokesman of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), told TheCable that a rescue team was on its way to the scene.

“We are currently on our way to the place. As soon as I get more update, I’ll get across to you,” he told TheCable.

The development is coming five days after 20 persons, including school children were killed in the Ita-Faaji area of Lagos Island.

The state government had embarked on demolition of defective structures in the local government two days after the Ita–Faaji incident.

On Friday, a three-storey building under construction in Ibadan, Oyo state collapsed but all the 23 workers were rescued.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Give Us Power, Prioritize The Electricity Sector; Elumelu Begs President Buhari

Avatar

Published

on

Chairman of Transnational Corporation of Nigeria (Transcorp) Plc, Mr. Tony Elumelu, has appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to give priority attention to the electricity sector of the economy.

Speaking at the 2018 Annual General Meeting of the group, in Abuja, weekend, Elumelu said: “Let him help us with power,” arguing that constant power supply would drastically reduce the cost of doing business in the country and make economy more competitive.

With poor electricity supply across the nation, corporate organisations and individuals have had to spent huge sums of money on diesel and petrol to fuel their generators.
Transcorp spent a whopping N1.292 billion as energy cost in the year under review, according to the company’s Annual Report and Financial Statements.

Elumelu noted that the N701 billion Power Payment Assurance Plan, PAP, initiative of the Federal Government under the management of the Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trading, NBET, Plc greatly improved liquidity in the sector but noted that the problem of huge unpaid invoices of Power Generating Companies, GENCOs, persisted in the fiscal year.

This challenge, he said, must be addressed by the Federal Government to significantly impact the receivables of the GENCOS, gas suppliers and transporters in the sector.
The Trasncorp boss also urged President Buhari to make it possible for Nigerian investors to benefit from the nation’s assets.

“Let him encourage domestic investors to benefit from the assets of this nation,’’ Elumelu said. The Federal Government had announced plans to sell some of the national assets, although details of that programme have not been made known.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Acting CJN Muhammad Reveals When He’ll Step Aside, Says Onnoghen Remains Chief Justice of Nigeria

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, ACJN, Justice Tanko Muhammad, has said that suspended Justice Walter Onnoghen, remains the substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria.

Muhammad said he would step aside once the Code of Conduct Tribunal or the Appeal Court reverses Onnoghen’s matter.

He, however, claimed that President Muhammadu Buhari does not need the permission of the National Judicial Council, NJC, to appoint an acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.

This was part of Justice Muhammad’s response to a query given to him by the NJC.

Justice Muhammad pointed out that the NJC ought to be consulted only when a substantive CJN is being appointed or re-appointed.

He said, “In my respectful view, the National Judicial Council has no role to play in the appointment of an acting Chief Justice of Nigeria in the first instance, that is to say on first appointment.

“The council comes in where the appointment as the acting CJN is to be renewed or extended. I humbly refer to Section 231(4) of the 1999 Constitution.

“It was for the larger interest of the judiciary and the constitutionality that I accepted to be sworn in as acting CJN with the conviction that if the order of January 23, 2019 is eventually set aside, the status quo would be restored.

“But before it is set aside, there should be no vacuum in the office of the CJN and the chairman of the NJC.

“On January 25, 2019, I was summoned to the Aso Villa at the instance of the President. Prior to the summons, I was not aware of the fact that the Code of Conduct Tribunal made any order on January 23, 2019.

“Furthermore, beyond what I read in the newspapers and watched on the television just like any other Nigerian, I was not privileged to see any of the processes filed by the parties before the tribunal. Hence, I could not really appreciate the merit or demerit of divergent positions.

“On the 25th day of January, the President swore me in as the acing CJN and not as the substantive CJN. Justice Walter Onnoghen remains the CJN until he is removed from office in accordance with the provision of the constitution. He is only suspended.”

The Acting CJN said that he was a member of the NJC panel that removed Justice Obisike Orji of the Abia State High Court for accepting to be sworn in as chief judge by the Abia State Government without a recommendation of the NJC but added that his own case was different because he was only appointed as an acting CJN.

Muhammad appealed to the NJC to throw aside the petition written against him by a group, Centre for Justice and Peace Initiative.

The group had written a petition to the NJC, demanding that the council to remove Muhammad as a justice of the Supreme Court.

They said Muhammad compromised by allowing himself to be sworn in by the President without recourse to the NJC.

Continue Reading

Most Popular