Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, on Tuesday made his first public appearance in Ado Ekiti, the state capital, after the July 14 governorship poll in which his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, lost to the All Progressives Congress.
Fayose’s deputy and candidate of the PDP, Prof. Kolapo Olusola, lost to the candidate of the APC, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, in the poll.
Fayose was hailed by a huge crowd of market women, kids, aged and youths on the street of Ado Ekiti as he walked from the Oja Bisi area of the state capital to the palace of the monarch of Ado Ekiti, the Ewi of Ado, Oba Rufus Adejugbe.
The crowd, which showed excitement on seeing him, prayed for him and wished him well in his future endeavours.
They saw him off to the Ewi’s palace, where he reported the security lockdown in the state, particularly as it affects him at the Government House, to the monarch, urging the Ewi and other traditional rulers in the state to intervene.
He still wore the neck guide which he had shortly after he alleged he was physically assaulted by security agents on July 11.
Reporting to the Ewi, Fayose said: “l have come to let you know that before the July 14 election, the Government House was invaded by the police and men of the Department of State Services and the poll was rigged.
“Over 300 of our members and top government functionaries have been arrested and clamped into detention since then.
“My wife was also subjected to a 45 minutes harrowing experience while entering the Government House shortly before the poll.
“Since the day of the poll, the government office has been shut and my security agents have been withdrawn.
“The July 14 poll has come and gone, and the constitution says up until October 16, I am still the governor.
“Since they have left this morning, I felt I should inform you, Ekiti people, Nigerians and international community that l am still being locked at the government office.
“I urge you to help tell the Federal Government and security agents and others that I should be left alone.
“l and my family have a right to life.
“The man who contested against us is being protected, but my policemen have been withdrawn.
“I represent Ekiti and was given a mandate of the people.
“Harassing me is not the best.
“My aides are being harrassed, searched, their vehicles up to spare tires and they are being searched even to their pants.
“I wonder why we should be in this kind of situation ahead of 2019.
“I want you to intervene please, Kabiyesi.”
Responding, the Ewi of Ado, who was almost moved to tears as he watched governor Fayose, said: “First of all, I want to thank God for sparing your life and that up till now, there has not been casualties.
“Before the poll and as if we knew this was going to happen, the Council of Obas met with INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission) officials, security operatives, party candidates and others and pleaded with all parties that before, during and after the poll, we want peace in Ekiti State because we are homogenous.
“Ekiti will remain one forever and whoever wins we will accept.
“It is unfortunate that this kind of thing is happening.
“The way I see you today in complete black, which is against our custom in the palace, I knew something is happening.
“I will convey your message to the chairman traditional council of obas in Ekiti.
“We had discussed you this morning and wondered where you are.
“We use this opportunity too to appeal to the security operatives to, in the name of God, restore your security to you.
“Whatever it is, we are in Ekiti and they should allow us to intervene in this matter.
“All the three of you in the race, yourself, Prof. Olusola Eleka, and Dr. Kayode Fayemi, are our sons.
“You are all our eminent sons that cannot be wished away.
“We urge all parties to allow peace to reign.
“We will also get in touch with Dr. Fayemi to use his good office to intervene.”
BREAKING: Heavily Armed Thugs Attack Kwankwaso In Kano, 8 Persons Critically Injured
Former Governor of Kano State and the immediate past Senator representing Kano Central, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, was attacked by thugs who are yet to be identified in Kano, Monday.
The attack, which followed the former governor’s visit to his hometown, Madobi where he had gone to open a midwifery school, was said to have been carried out around the state underpass.
Eight persons were said to have been critically injured while several cars were damaged beyond recognition.
However, Hajiya Binta Sipikin, Kwankwaso’s media aide, linked the attack to thugs loyal to Governor Abdullahi Ganduje.
She said, “This attack was preplanned because we were told that heavy-armed thugs were waiting under the bridge to attack us when we were coming from Madobi.
“We believe Ganduje was behind this attack because we heard one of his aide names being mentioned during the attack.”
She noted that scores of their members were seriously injured and currently receiving medical attention in various clinics including the International Hospital while 10 vehicles destroyed and personal items carted away by political thugs believed to have been sponsored by the Kano State Government at Sharada Panshekara Sabon Titi bridge.
However, one of the Governor’s top aides, who pleaded not to be named, denied being behind the attack on Kwankwaso’s convoy.
He alleged that the attack was an internal wrangling between the Kwankwasiyya members who were apparently tired of their boss, Kwankwaso.
He said, “The attack was a misunderstanding between the Kwankwasiyya members, who accused Kwankwaso of betraying their trust by after them for his personal gains.”
BREAKING: Court Orders Forfeiture Of Saraki’s Houses In Ikoyi
A federal high court sitting in Lagos has ordered the temporary forfeiture of two properties of Bukola Saraki, former senate president, in the Ikoyi area of Lagos state.
Nnaemeka Omewa, a counsel of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC), had approached the court, seeking an order of interim forfeiture of the properties located at 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti Osa local government area of Lagos.
He had told the court that they were acquired through “proceeds of unlawful activities”.
Part of the reliefs sought by the EFCC included “An order of this honourable Court forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria landed property with appurtenances situate, lying and known as No. 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State found and recovered from the respondent which property is reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity”.
The commission alleged that while serving as governor of Kwara state, Saraki withdrew over N12 billion cash from the account of the Kwara government and paid the same into his accounts domiciled in Access and Zenith Banks through one of his personal assistant, Abdul Adama.
Delivering ruling on the application, Mohammed Liman, the presiding judge, ordered interim forfeiture of the two properties.
He also instructed that the EFCC should publish the order in a national newspaper within 14 days, for anyone with interest in the properties to show cause, why they should not be finally forfeited to the federal government.
The federal government had arraigned Saraki at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) while he was the nation’s number three citizen.
He was accused of failing to declare his assets, an allegation he denied, alleging that he was being witch-hunted.
The supreme court subsequently dismissed the false assets declaration trial.
BREAKING: Court Takes A Second Look At Sowore’s Bail Condition, Waives N50m Security Deposit
A Federal High Court in Abuja has agreed to the request by the convener of #RevolutionNow, Omoyele Sowore and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare for the variation of the conditions attached to the bail earlier granted them.
The court had on October 4 this year granted them bail on certain conditions, which they considered stringent and which they could not meet, prompting them to apply to the court for variation.
In a ruling on Monday, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu waived the earlier requirement that one of Sowore’s deposits N50million as security and reduced the amount attached to Bakare’s bail from N50m to N30m.
Justice Ojukwu said all other conditions should remain. She said the decision to restrain the defendants from participating in rallies was in order in view of the nature of the case.
She adjourned till November 6 for the commencement of trial in the case, in which Sowore and Bakare are charged with among others, a treasonable felony.
The judge in a ruling on October 4, 2019, granted Sowore bail at N100million and two sureties in the same amount and barred him from travelling out of Abuja.
Justice Ojukwu ordered one of Sowore’s surety to deposit N50m in the account of the court as security.
She granted Bakare bail at N50m with a surety in the same amount and barred him from traveling out of his base in Osogbo, except while coming for the trial in Abuja.
The judge added that the sureties, who must be resident in Abuja, must also have landed assets worth the bail sum in Abuja, and should deposit the original title documents of the assets with the court.
Justice Ojukwu ordered that the defendants be remanded in the custody of the Department of State Service (DSS) pending when they are able to meet the bail conditions.
BIG STORY2 days ago
Panic Grips Residents As Lion Escapes From Kano Zoo
ENTERTAINMENT18 hours ago
Nollywood Actor Rotimi Salami Keeps Winning
ENTERTAINMENT9 hours ago
14 Facts To Know Before Naira Marley Reappears In Court Tuesday
BIG STORY22 hours ago
ASUU Begins Members Mobilization For Showdown With FG
BIG STORY19 hours ago
Automobile Dealers Association Threatens To Sue Nigerian Custom Service For Sealing Their Business Premises
BIG STORY11 hours ago
BREAKING: Court Orders Forfeiture Of Saraki’s Houses In Ikoyi