Connect with us

The World Health Organisation has recognised sex addiction or “compulsive sexual behaviour” as a mental disorder, but said Saturday it remained unclear if it was an addiction on a par with gambling or drug abuse.

The contentious term “sex addiction” has been around for decades but experts disagree over whether the condition exists.

In the latest update of its catalogue of diseases and injuries around the world, the WHO takes a step towards legitimising the concept, by acknowledging “compulsive sexual behaviour disorder”, or CSBD, as a mental illness.

But the UN health body stops short of lumping the condition together with addictive behaviours like substance abuse or gambling, insisting more research is needed before describing the disorder as an addiction.

“Conservatively speaking, we don’t feel that the evidence is there yet… that the process is equivalent to the process with alcohol or heroin,” WHO expert Geoffrey Reed told AFP Saturday.

In the update of its International Classification of Diseases (ICD), published last month, WHO said CSBD was “characterised by persistent failure to control intense, repetitive sexual impulses or urges… that cause marked distress or impairment”.

But it said the scientific debate was still ongoing as to “whether or not the compulsive sexual behaviour disorder constitutes the manifestation of a behavioural addiction”.

Reed said it was important that the ICD register, which is widely used as a benchmark for diagnosis and health insurers, includes a concise definition of compulsive sexual behaviour disorder to ensure those affected can get help.

“There is a population of people who feel out of control with regards to their own sexual behaviour and who suffer because of that,” he said pointing out that their sexual behaviour sometimes had “very severe consequences.”

“This is a genuine clinical population of people who have a legitimate health condition and who can be provided services in a legitimate way,” he said.

It remains unclear how many people suffer from the disorder, but Reed said the ICD listing would likely prompt more research into the condition and its prevalence, as well as into determining the most effective treatments.

“Maybe eventually we will say, yeah, it is an addiction, but that is just not where we are at this point,” Reed said.

But even without the addiction label, he said he believed the new categorisation would be “reassuring”, since it lets people know they have “a genuine condition” and can seek treatment.

– No excuse for rape –
Claims of “sex addiction” have increasingly been in the headlines in step with the #MeToo movement, which has seen people around the world coming forward with allegations sexual mistreatment.

The uprising has led to the downfall of powerful men across industries, including disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, who has reportedly spent months in treatment for sex addiction.

Reed said he did not believe there was reason to worry that the new CSBD listing could be used by people like Weinstein to excuse alleged criminal behaviours.

“It doesn’t excuse sexual abuse or raping someone … any more than being an alcoholic excuses you from driving a car when you are drunk. You have still made a decision to act,” he said.

While it did not recognise sex addiction in the first update of its ICD catalogue since the 1990s, WHO did for the first time recognise video gaming as an addiction, listing it alongside addictions to gambling and drugs like cocaine.

The document, which member states will be asked to approve during the World Health Assembly in Geneva next May, will take effect from January 1, 2022, if it is adopted.

 

AFP

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

Mad Man Stabs Monarch To Death In Ekiti

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Odo-Oro-Ekiti, a community in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti State, was on Monday thrown into mourning as its traditional ruler, Oba Gbadebo Ogunsakin, was stabbed to death.

Some residents, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria, said the traditional ruler was stabbed with a knife by a man suspected to be insane after a meeting of the traditional council.

A resident, Mr Henry Olu, said the assailant was from the same royal family as the slain traditional ruler.

Olu said the assailant was earlier seen before the council meeting sitting on the throne and was chased away.

The monarch was stabbed by the assailant while he was attempting to enter his vehicle after the council meeting.

“All we heard was a cry for help from the traditional ruler’s driver shortly after the council meeting.

“On getting there, we saw our traditional ruler in a pool of his blood with a knife in the chest.

“We tried rushing him to the hospital, but Oba Ogunsakin gave up the ghost,” another resident, who does not want his name mentioned, said.

NAN reports that some irate youths in the community took to the streets in search of the assailant who was said to have fled into the bush after the incident.

The youths mounted roadblocks on major junctions leading into the community while the search lasted.

NAN also reports that there was panic in the community, with its market deserted as the news of the incident filtered.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ekiti, DSP Caleb Ikechukwu, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with NAN.

“It is true the incident actually happened and policemen have moved in.

“The person alleged is of unsound mind and he actually escaped into the bush after committing the crime.

“Our men are combing the bush to fish out the suspect.

“All I can say for now is that the suspect is within reach and will be put in custody,” he said.

NAN reports that the late Ogunsakin ascended the throne in 1986.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

‘I Challenge You To A Public Debate, Lets Present The Facts To Nigerians’ —- Gov Udom Dares Akpabio

Published

on

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel, on Monday dared his predecessor Senator Godswill Akpabio to a debate ahead of the 2019 election.

Emmanuel’s challenge was an apparent reply to Akpabio’s comments at Ikot Ekpene on Sunday.

The former governor had stated that “Udom (Emmanuel) is a mistake that must be corrected in 2019.

“All hands must be on deck to ensure that the mistake is corrected for a people-oriented leadership under the ruling All Progressives Congress at the centre,” he had said.

Responding, the governor at a rally in his honour at Onna Sports Stadium, said he was ready to present the facts of his administration to the world and that anyone who can confront him should come forward.

He said: “I have heard things, and I want to challenge any who thinks he has the truth to come out, I will use my personal money to hire the media.

“Let’s present facts to Nigerians, let’s see who would tell the truth and who will also tell a lie”.

“However, the issue on ground is Akwa Ibom, it’s about the development of this state, it’s about our children in public schools who are excelling in international competitions, it’s about the price of garri that we have drastically dropped, it’s about the unity of this state which we believe in”.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Tambuwal Blasts Tinubu, Reveals What APC National Leader Did When He Was Stopped From Running With Buhari In 2015

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal, has said that he has what it takes to defeat President Muhammadu Buhari in any political platform.

The Governor said that if he wanted to remain in the APC and battle the party’s ticket with Buhari, he would have done so and win the presidency.

The Governor made this known in his reaction to the statement by the APC National Leader, Ahmed Tinubu, about his exit from the ruling party.

According to a statement on the State’s Twitter handle, @sokotogovthouse, Tambuwal said that Tinubu tried to rock the boat when he was denied as Buhari’s Vice President, adding that the former Lagos Governor thinks everyone was like him.

“If I wanted to and if the Presidency is what (why) Ahmed Tinubu thinks I defected, I could contest with President Buhari under the APC. I have what it takes to have contested with Mr. President.”

“Tinubu tried to rock the boat when he was denied Buhari’s vice presidency. He thinks every other person could behave his way. If I wanted to contest under the APC as president, I could have done so and only the votes could have produced a winner.”

He added that Tinubu’s statement could serve as a confirmation that there was no internal democracy in the ruling party.

He added, “In any case, Tinubu is confessing that there is no level-playing ground for all members of the APC; that there is no internal democracy in it and that some people were denied their right to internal democracy.”

The former Lagos State Governor had on Sunday alleged that Tambuwal wants to become president, the reason for his exit from APC: “Governor Tambuwal’s exit can be distilled to one cause. He covets the Presidency.

However, he had not the stomach to challenge President Buhari in a primary. Tambuwal felt further insulted that he would be compelled to face a direct primary just to retain the governorship

Continue Reading

Most Popular