Connect with us

The traditional ruler of Ogbozine Akpugo in Nkanu West Local Government Area of Enugu State, Igwe Stephen Nwatu, has been murdered, Vanguard newspaper is reporting.

Police sources told the newspaper that the traditional ruler was allegedly killed by unknown persons while returning from a court sitting at Nkanu, the local government headquarters, on Monday afternoon.

The traditional ruler, who was accompanied by four policemen, was said to have arrived the court premises when the court had closed and left the premises with the policemen.

Police sources said Nwatu was trailing one of his subjects who had some issues with him when they were waylaid by a group of people and beaten to stupor.

His attackers reportedly disarmed his police orderlies before descending on them.
The Divisional Police Officer for Nkanu West Police Station, who got wind of the attack, was said to have rushed the monarch to Orient Hospital in the area, where Nwatu was given some first aid treatment before he was transferred to the Parklane Hospital in Enugu metropolis, where he died at 9pm on Tuesday night.

However, other sources said some members of the community were going to the Government House, where they had been invited by the Chief of Staff, to Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi over their matter with Nwatu, when they were blocked somewhere at Amodu, Awkunanaw by the Igwe and some members of the police anti-robbery squad and molested before the fracas, which led to the killing of the Igwe started.

The members of the SARS were said to have abandoned the Igwe when he reportedly ordered his driver to kill anybody on his way to enable him escape.

The driver was said to have overrun one person from Ogbozine, shattering his two legs, before his enraged subjects pounced on him and beat him to stupor, leading to his death.

The late Nwatu was said to have been having series of problems with his subjects who had always accused him of high-handedness, as well as complained of imposition of arbitrary and illegal levies on them.

Meanwhile, the police at Nkanu have recovered one of the riffles snatched from one of the policemen guarding the late Igwe Nwatu.

Policemen and family members of late Igwe Nwatu confirmed that the late traditional ruler died from the injuries he sustained during the attack at Park Lane Hospital on Tuesday.

About 15 houses were said to have so far been burnt in a reprisal attack against alleged opponents of the late Igwe.

It was said that some members of the local vigilante group, Neighborhood Watch, who were loyal to Nwatu, attacked those perceived to be enemies of the late monarch and set their houses ablaze.

Henry Nnamani said two of his houses were burnt while his brother, Moses, lost over 30 drums of palm oil, which he stored in his house, waiting for the period of scarcity to sell them, while Chijioke Okenwa also said that he “lost all that he had laboured for, following the burning” of his house.

Enugu State police Spokesman, Ebere Amaraizu, confirmed the killing of Igwe Stephen Nwatu in a text message to Vanguard.

Amaraizu said: “The (police) command through the operatives of the state criminal intelligence and investigations department have commenced a full scale investigation into the incident with a view to finding out the circumstances surrounding the incident as well as those involved among other things.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

JUST IN: Manchester United sack Jose Mourinho

Published

on

Manchester United have announced the sack of manager, Jose Mourinho.

The Portuguese was dismissed on Tuesday after a series of poor results.

Manchester United announced this on Twitter, saying, “Manchester United has announced that Jose Mourinho has left the Club.

“We would like to thank him for his work during his time at Manchester United and wish him success in the future.”

Details later…

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Youth Corper Docked Over Alleged £12.5m Internet Fraud, Remanded In Prison Custody

Published

on

The Enugu Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday arraigned Ogbonna Victor Chibuzor, a serving member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), before Justice A.M. Liman of the Federal High Court, Enugu, on a five-count charge bordering on intent to defraud, and possession of fraudulent documents contrary to Section 6 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act 2006 and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the same Act.

Ogbonna’s arrest was sequel to series of raids carried out by operatives over the past one week in which several suspected fraudsters in their early 20s, alleged to be engaging in online fraud, were arrested having been found to be living a flamboyant lifestyle not commensurate to the means of livelihood.

Analysis carried out on the computer of the suspected fraudster revealed certain incriminating documents intended to be used in swindling gullible Nigerians and foreigners alike.

Further investigations disclosed that Ogbonna uses his e-mail address activitygeneral@hotmail.com to send unsolicited emails to his victims using fake or stolen identity to legitimise his nefarious activities.

One of the documents was addressed to one Alan Christopher of BG Group Plc, Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6, Berkshire, United Kingdom, with a rider “Your attention is needed” and a second paragraph talking about a £12,500,000 (Twelve Million Five Hundred Thousand Pounds Sterling) unclaimed contract fund.

Another document found with the accused was a purported “Contract Award Certificate” to one Michael Morgan of 101 Brooklyn, New York, United State of America, on “Directing and Fixing of Oil Spillage” in the Niger Delta signed by the Chairman, Contract Tender Board and Chairman, Legal Department of Chevron Nigeria.

He pleaded “not guilty” to the charges preferred against him occasioning his counsel E.O. Isiwu to move a motion for bail, which was opposed by prosecuting counsel, Innocent Mbachie.

The presiding judge, however, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N500,000 and one surety in like sum. The surety, he ruled, “must have a landed property in Enugu which must be verified by the Commissioner of Lands”. Ogbonna is to be remanded in prison custody until he fulfils his bail conditions.

The case has been adjourned to January 30, 2019.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Presidency Writes UK Govt, Calls For Corruption Probe Against Ekweremadu, Uzodinma, Others

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

The Nigerian Presidency has said it has written the National Crime Commission of the United Kingdom, UK, to assist in the investigation of five senators with properties in the UK and the British Virgin Islands.

The Senators are Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, and Imo state governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Hope Uzodinma.

Others are Senators Stella Odua, Peter Nwaoboshi and Albert Bassey Akpan.

Chairman of the Special Presidential Investigative Panel on the Recovery of Public Property SPIP, Chief Okoi Obono-Obla, disclosed this yesterday at a news conference in Abuja to highlight some of the activities of the body in 2018.

He said: “The UK has passed a law that will also help us in Nigeria fight corruption and that is the ‘Unexplained Wealth Regulation’ which entails that if you have a property in the UK that is above $50, 000, you have to explain your source of wealth, and property here does not just mean a building but even jewelries.

“So, we have written the National Crime Authority in the UK asking them to investigate some Nigerian senators who have property in the UK and the Virgin Islands,” he said.

Obono-Obla added that if they are found culpable, they would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws and made to forfeit such properties.

Obono-Obla, who is also the Special Assistant to the President on Public Prosecution, added that five oil companies are also under investigation for tax evasion and refusal to pay royalties to the Nigerian government.

He said: “the companies have not remitted over $1 billion to the government.

“A lot of oil companies are contributing to the economic challenges facing the country, denying Nigeria of royalties and also evading taxes, money that would have been channeled to the development of the country.

“Working with the Federal Inland Revenue Service FIRS, we discovered that Addax Petroleum has failed to pay tax for five years and so they are owing about N700 million. Then, thanks to a petition we received from Femi Falana SAN, Mobil which purchased an oil bloc in 2001 for $2.5 billion dollars is yet to pay about $1.9 billion of that money to the government. We have commenced our investigations too”, he stated.

He said the panel was also looking at a petition involving a top official of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation NNPC as well as against the management of the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN under Govs. Chukwuma Soludo and Sanusi Lamido Sanusi with regards to debt cancellations to banks.

Continue Reading

Most Popular