Connect with us

The management of University College Hospital, Ibadan, said on Wednesday that an unidentified man deliberately jumped down from the sixth floor of the hospital.

Deji Bobade, the Public Relations Officer of the hospital, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Ibadan.

He said the man purposely went to the floor where the museum was under lock and jumped down in an attempt to commit suicide.

Bobade said: “As we all know, the JOHESU strike is on and no health worker was allowed to be at work.

“At around 9 am, people around the ground floor of the building said they just heard the thud sound of a heavy object.

“On getting to the place, the body of a man, probably in his late 50s or early 60s, was found on the ground.

“Doctors around certified him dead.

“We contacted the Police Public Relations Officer, Adekunle Ajisebutu, who ordered his men to deposit the body in our mortuary here.

“There was no means of identification found on him but his footwear was a “dunlop’’ rubber slippers’’ .

Efforts by NAN correspondent to get the police to shed more light on the incident proved abortive as Ajisebutu failed to pick his calls.

He also did not respond to a text sent to his phone.

BIG STORY

Aisha Buhari Confirms Arrest Of Her ADC Over Alleged N2.5bn Fraud

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Aisha Buhari, the wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, has confirmed the arrest of her Aide-De-Camp, Sani Baban-Inna, a Chief Superintendent of Police.

Hajia Buhari made the confirmation in a statement by her media aide, Suleiman Haruna, on Tuesday.

She said Baban-Inna had been her ADC since 2016 and was arrested by the police authorities based on proven cases of corruption.

She denied having a hand in his arrest.

The statement by Haruna said: “The attention of wife of the President, Dr. Mrs. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari has been drawn to some media publications and releases purporting illegal detention of her Aide De Camp (ADC) over allegations of fraud.

“The story as it pertains to her ADC, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) Sani Baban-Inna has it that he has been detained on the orders of Her Excellency for dropping her name and defrauding unsuspecting officials and associates. She wishes to use this opportunity to refute such allegation and to state that she has no hand in his arrest and detention.

“CSP Sani Baban-Inna has been her ADC since 2016 and has been associated with her ever since. To the utter dismay of Her Excellency, he has used the opportunity to defraud unsuspecting associates and officials as initial investigations have shown.

“The Nigeria Police Force, his employers arrested him to investigate the allegations levelled against him, this, being within their jurisdiction.

“She, therefore, wishes to use this opportunity to inform the general public that she has never sent any of her staff to collect any favours on her behalf or on behalf of her children and will never do so. She is, therefore, imploring anyone that has been defrauded by Mr. Baban-Inna to get across to him to retrieve whatever he took from them. Mrs. Buhari wishes to reiterate that she will not condone fraudulent behaviour by any of her staff.

“She uses this opportunity to call on all those in positions of authority to rise above intimidation by their aides and deal with such attitudes as extortion by name-dropping, especially within the Presidency. As she always emphasizes, this government was voted into office based on the trust and confidence of the people.”

Baban-Inna was accused of fraudulent acts to the tune of N2.5 billion.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Buhari Could Lose 2019 Presidential Election —– US Intelligence Firm

Peter Okunoren

Published

on

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari could lose power in February’s election if the opposition manages to unite, according to New York, the United States of America-based analysis firm Teneo Intelligence.

A close governorship election over the weekend in the southwestern state of Osun, currently held by Buhari’s All Progressives Congress, bodes badly for the ruling party and signals its waning popularity, Teneo said in a note to clients.

While Nigeria’s electoral commission (Independent National Electoral Commission) said there would be a rerun at seven polling stations on September 27, the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party is leading by a thin margin, based on results so far.

“There is already a clear message sent from Osun State: provided the PDP remains united, and the vote is reasonably free and fair, Buhari and his APC are likely to lose the general elections,” said Malte Liewerscheidt, an analyst at Teneo.

The southwest was key to Buhari’s victory in 2015, which marked the first democratic transition of power from one party to another in Africa’s biggest oil producer.

The 75-year-old former General’s opponents accuse him of not doing enough to revive an economy still struggling after the 2014 crash in crude prices and to stop the spread of deadly communal clashes.

The PDP is to choose a presidential candidate during its national convention on October 5 and 6.

Several prominent politicians, including former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Bukola Saraki, the head of the Senate, are campaigning for the role.

The APC’s primaries were rescheduled to September 28 from September 27, the party said on Monday in an emailed statement.

Buhari is currently its only presidential candidate.

Bloomberg.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

NLC Declares Indefinite Strike Over New Minimum Wage From Wednesday

Published

on

The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has declared an indefinite warning strike from Wednesday, to press the federal government to implement a new minimum wage for workers.

Its sister labour group, the Trade Union Congress, had earlier on Tuesday announced that it would begin strike from the early hours of Thursday, following the federal government’s failure to honour its ultimatum on the new minimum wage.

Last Thursday, the NLC resolved to commence an indefinite nationwide strike, after the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum given to the FG which will elapse Wednesday.

In a press statement signed by the NLC General Secretary, Peter Ozo-Eson, the congress resolved that the strike commences in the midnight of Wednesday.

“Representatives of organized labour, after due consultation and meetings, have therefore agreed that all unions and our Civil society allies should embark on a warning strike from midnight of Wednesday, 26th September, 2018.

“All affiliates and state councils are therefore expected to mobilize their members nationwide to ensure total compliance.

“The nationwide warning strike will remain in force until further directives are conveyed,” the statement said.

Continue Reading

Most Popular