Connect with us

The Kogi State Head of Service, Deaconess Deborah Ogunmola, has exonerated the state government over the stoppage of the salary of a Director in the State Civil Service who committed suicide, Edward Soje.

The Head of Service gave the explanation in a statement she issued on Sunday.

Ogunmola said Soje, who reportedly committed suicide after his wife gave birth to a set of triplets, had his salary paid till December 2016 until it was discovered that he falsified his age records.

She said he confessed to the crime on records.

The statement by Ogunmola reads in full:

The Kogi State Government is saddened in no small measure by the alleged suicide of Mr. Edward Soje, a level 16 officer and director in the Kogi State Civil Service. He was attached to the Teaching Service Commission.

I am appalled by the media reports on Edward Soje’s death. The certainty by the media that he committed suicide, and that he did it due to non-payment of his salaries by his employer, the Kogi State Government. We wonder at this strange certainty. No media house has approached the Service or the Government with any query on the matter. There is also no single shred of proof provided to back up their banner headlines.

For the records, these are the facts surrounding Mr. Soje’s employment with the Kogi State Government: He continued to receive his salaries till December, 2016 even while the Staff Screening and Verification Exercise was ongoing.

His pay was stopped after proof emerged that he falsified his age records. His confession to the offence is on video.

Following engagements with Labour which spanned several months, the Kogi State Governor magnanimously commuted the disciplinary action due against certain categories of offenders by grant of pardon. Mr. Soje fell into one of the categories.

Pardoned staff were processed for reinstatement and payment in batches. Mr. Soje was in the September 2017 batch and he was aware of this fact.

The Kogi State Teaching Service Commission where he works has forwarded a template for payment to Government and Mr. Soje was aware that he was listed to receive 6 months back pay, leaving only 2 months (August and September) outstanding.

Edward Soje was not just my staff, he was also married to my sister-in-law.. His death is shocking, both as one related to him in some way, and one responsible for him in an official capacity.

I met with him earlier last week and we discussed his situation, including the progress made in resolving his employment issues. There was no hint of this horrible decision in his demeanour neither did he appear to me as one who was depressed, let alone contemplating suicide. I am therefore understandably shocked by all of this.

We use this opportunity to implore the fourth estate of the realm to always strive to verify information before going to the public especially when lives are involved, and to avoid causing unnecessary distress. Facts are sacred and must be so revered.

Government condoles with his family, especially his wife and three children. While we will not intrude into their grief over their sad loss, we will stand with them through this.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

TRENDING: Another Video Of Gov. Ganduje Receiving Part Of The Alleged $5M Bribe Released

Published

on

Another video captured with a spy camera shows Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, receiving part of $5m bribe from a contractor.

This is the second of the 15-series trove of video clips obtained by DAILY NIGERIAN.

Daily Nigerian had initially said they have about 15 videos with voice clips and others not including voice recording, the 1st wave was released yesterday & today, 15th of October, the online media platform had done justice to their promise by releasing another video clip of just 15 seconds but shows a lot of activities.

Watch the clip below:

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

2019: Buhari’s Minister, Shittu Drags APC To Court

Published

on

The Minister of Communication, Adebayo Shittu, has dragged his political party, the All Progressives Congress, APC to court.

The Minister took the legal action after the party disqualified him as a governorship aspirant in Oyo State.

The ruling party stopped the Minister from continuing his gubernatorial race through screening after he failed to present a National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, discharge certificate.

The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reports that Shittu in the originating summons argued that it was wrong for APC to disqualify him for not presenting the certificate.

The Oyo-born politician also said that participation in the NYSC scheme was not a condition precedent to be satisfied before he was appointed a minister.

He, therefore asked the court to determine “whether by the provision of Section 2(1) of the National Youth Service Corps Decree No. 24 of 1973 and/or any other provision of the Decree being the law in force as at 1978 when the Plaintiff graduated at the University of Ile-Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife) he was under any legal obligation to have warranted the plaintiff’s participation in the National Youth Service Corps in the absence of a call-up instrument duly served on the Plaintiff by the National Youth Service Corps.

“Whether, by the combined reading of sections 176-183 of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria [as Amended] and Article 20(iii) & (iv) of the Constitution of the All Progressive Congress; it is a condition that the gubernatorial aspirant of the 1st Defendant (APC) and/or any political party for that matter in Nigeria must present the National Youth Service Corps Discharge/Exemption Certificate;

”Whether it is ultra vires the powers of the 1st defendant to have disqualified the plaintiff from participating in its primary election for the nomination of the governorship candidate of the 1st defendant in Oyo State for the 2019 General Election on the ground that the plaintiff does not possess National Youth Service Corps Discharge/Exemption Certificate;

”Whether it does not amount to denial of fair hearing as enshrined in section 36(1) of the 1999 constitution of as amended for the 1st defendant to have purportedly disqualified the plaintiff from contesting for governorship election in Oys state under the platform of the 1st defendant without availing the Plaintiff an opportunity to be heard on the allegations that the plaintiff avoided the National Youth Service Scheme; and

”Whether by the combined reading of the provisions of Sections 147(5), 65(1)(b) & (2), 66 (1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and Section 12 of the National Youth Service Corps Act, Cap N84 laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, the plaintiff was qualified to have been appointed as a Minister capable of holding the office, and/or any other governmental office at any level notwithstanding the fact that he did not participate in the National Youth Service Corps scheme.”

In an affidavit, the Minister personally swore to and filed by A.U. Mustapha, his counsel, Shittu said there was no “call-up instrument” served on him when he graduated.

“I was liable but not obligated to have participated in the National Youth Service Corps Scheme both at the time I graduated from the said University and as at the time I was called to the Nigerian bar,” the affidavit read.

“I know as a fact that I was also not served any notice or notified in any manner to proceed to participate in the National Youth Service Corps scheme.

“I know as a fact that participation in the National Youth Service Corps programme is not one of the requirements to be satisfied under the 1st defendant’s constitution to enable me to participate in the primary election for Nominating the party flag bearer for the office of governor of Oyo state in the 2019 general election. A copy of the Constitution of the 1st Defendant is hereby attached and marked as ‘Exhibit SHITTU 8’.

“I also know as a fact that under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) it is not a requirement for me to have participated in National Youth Service Corps Scheme to be eligible for participation in the 1st Defendant’s primary election for Nomination of its flag bearer in Oyo State for the 2019 General election.

“I know also as a fact that the Electoral Act 2010 [as amended] did not make participation in the National Youth Service Corps Scheme a condition precedent for contesting any elective office whatsoever. I know also that participation in NYSC Scheme is not one of the requirements to enable me to take part in the primary election for nomination of the 1st defendant’s flag bearer for the office of governor of Oyo state in the 2019 General election.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

Zenith Bank Hosts Its First Global Economic Forum [VIDEO]

Published

on

Watch the video excerpt from Channels TV below:

 

Continue Reading

Most Popular