The owner of Anthony Joshua’s local launderette, who the heavyweight champion boxer owes £120 for washing his kit, has revealed he used to give the millionaire boxer financial advice when he was a penniless hopeful.
Muqeem Bakhtari, 32, known locally as Max, said Joshua was still regular at his Launderette in Golders Green, north London, near the ex-council flat where the fighter still lives with his mother.
The 27-year-old Joshua’s victory over two-time world champion, Wladimir Klitschko, in front of 90,000 people at Wembley on Saturday has earned him a whopping £15m, and he says he has not forgotten his unpaid bill.
Bakhtari the washerman said Joshua had been a regular since before winning his Olympic gold medal at London 2012 and his family often stopped by to pick up his laundry.
Mr. Bakhtari said washing the clothes of a boxing champion isn’t easy.
He said: “We look after his clothes extremely well. We don’t want to shrink them.
“We do it low heat because gym clothes do shrink easily; they’re worse than wool.”
Bakhtari said £120 is about two weeks’ worth of washing if you bring a bag in every day, which is what Anthony does when he’s training.
He said: “We’ll see more of his suits and shirts now he’s out the gym. I’m absolutely over the moon for him.
“But I could do with the money now; so hopefully he comes in and pays it off as soon as possible.”
Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr Reveals Mistake Super Eagles Made, Singles Out One Player
Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has admitted his players were relaxed at the end of the game when they wanted to force Algeria into extra time in their Africa Cup of Nations semi-final clash.
Nigeria had leveled the game through Odion Ighalo’s penalty after they went behind in the first half.
But with the final kick of the match, Riyad Mahrez struck an unstoppable free-kick past Daniel Akpeyi, to ensure the Desert Foxes will play in the final.
Rohr, speaking to Reuters, hailed Mahrez ass the “genius who made the difference”.
He said: “It was a big fight until the last minute, it was a wonderful match, I think my players wanted it to go to extra time thinking Algeria were more tired.
“We scored an own goal, unlucky, but we have come back every time in this tournament and this time we came back on a penalty. But a wonderful free kick from a football genius made the difference.”
Nigeria will face Tunisia in Wednesday’s third-place encounter at the Al-Salam Stadium in Cairo.
Nigeria Vs South Africa: Interesting Head-To-Head Statistics As Eagles Battle Bafana Bafana Today
The past days have been filled with the intense build-up to what could easily pass as one of the most important games ever between South Africa and Nigeria at the ongoing AFCON 2019 tournament in Egypt.
Both teams will battle for a place in the semi finals today in Cairo.
Here are interesting heads-to-head stats ahead of the game at the stadium of horror.
- Nigeria are three-time African champions while Bafana Bafana won the tournament as hosts in 1996.
- South Africa beat Nigeria away in their opening match of the AFCON qualifiers in June 2017 and were held 1-1 in the return fixture.
- Nigeria have not won South Africa in their last five meetings.
- The last time Nigeria defeated the South African national team was in a CHAN group stage game on August 19 ,2014 where Super Eagles won by 3-1 in Cape Town.
- Ahmed Musa was the last Nigerian player to score against South Africa. it was in an international friendly in 2015 which ended in a 1-1 draw at Nelspruit.
- South Africa have only managed to beat the Super Eagles twice in all and only once in a competitive game.
- Nigeria’s first defeat against South Africa came in 2004. The 2-1 loss in 2004 was in friendly game used to mark Nelson Mandela’s birthday.
- In 1992, Nigeria thumped South Africa 4-0 in Lagos on their return to international football after years of being banned owing to apartheid rule back. It was their first head-to-head meeting.
- The most recent head-to-head meeting between the two sides was in August 2013 for the Nelson Mandela Challenge at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban. Again Nigeria proved too much for South Africa by winning two-nil through Uche Nwofor’s brace of goals.
Head to Head record:
- Nigeria 2-0 South Africa, semi-final in 2000
- Nigeria 4-0 South Africa, group stage in 2004
Total head-to-head matches played: 13
- Nigeria wins: 6
- South Africa wins: 2
- Draws: 5
See Breakdown below:
- 10 Oct 1992 Nigeria v South Africa 4-0 FIFA World Cup
- 16 Jan 1993 South Africa v Nigeria 0-0 FIFA World Cup
- 10 Feb 2000 Nigeria v South Africa 2-0 Africa Cup of Nations
- 31 Jan 2004 Nigeria v South Africa 4-0 Africa Cup of Nations
- 17 Nov 2004 South Africa v Nigeria 2-1 International Friendly
- 01 Jun 2008 Nigeria v South Africa 2-0 FIFA World Cup
- 06 Sep 2008 South Africa v Nigeria 0-1 FIFA World Cup
- 14 Aug 2013 South Africa v Nigeria 0-2 International Friendly
- 10 Sep 2014 South Africa v Nigeria 0-0 Africa Cup of Nations
- 19 Nov 2014 Nigeria v South Africa 2-2 Africa Cup of Nations
- 29 Mar 2015 South Africa v Nigeria 1-1 International Friendly
- 10 Jun 2017 Nigeria v South Africa L 0-2 Africa Cup of Nations
- 17 Nov 2018 South Africa v Nigeria 1-1 Africa Cup of Nations
BREAKING: Chelsea Confirms Frank Lampard As New Head Coach
Former Chelsea midfielder, Frank Lampard has been appointed as the new head coach at Chelsea on a three-year contract.
The club legend has put pen to paper on a three-year deal to run through till 2022. The Englishman replaces Maurizio Sarri, who left the Blues for Juventus on June 16, 2019.
Frank Lampard took his first steps into coaching last year when he was appointed as the manager of Championship club Derby County. Under Lampard, the Rams managed to secure a top-six spot and qualify for the playoffs. They then beat Leeds United in the semi-finals, before losing the promotion final to Aston Villa.
Prior to that, Lampard enjoyed a stellar career as a player with Chelsea. The Englishman joined the Blues as a youngster from London rivals West Ham United and went on to achieve the status of a club legend.
During his playing time, the Chelsea number eight made six hundred and forty-eight (648) appearances and even became the club’s record scorer with two hundred and eleven goals (211). He won three Premier League titles with the Stamford Bridge outfit, four FA Cups, two League Cups, one UEFA Europa League, and one UEFA Champions League.
BUSINESS2 days ago
Apostle Suleman, His Views And The Nigerian Challenge
BIG STORY21 hours ago
BREAKING: Samson Siasia’s 72-year-old Mother Kidnapped Again In Bayelsa
BUSINESS13 hours ago
Abuja Aglow As World Presidents, Dignitaries, Celebrities Set For Africa’s Biggest Event #TheUBAMarketPlace2019
BUSINESS2 days ago
Access Bank Wins Karlsruhe Sustainable Finance Award
Uncategorized22 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Nominates Tunji Bello, Dele Alake’s Son, Toke Benson, 23 Others As Commissioners In Lagos [FULL LIST]
BUSINESS2 days ago
Access Bank Wins 2019 Nigerian Healthcare Excellence Award