Connect with us

BIG STORY

REVEALED: How Alleged Lagos Wife Killer ‘Lekan Shonde’ Surrendered Himself To The Police [PHOTOS]

Published

on

Lekan Shonde

Mr. Lekan Shonde, who allegedly killed his wife, Ronke, surrendered himself to the Rapid Response Squad of the Lagos State Police Command on Monday.

Lekan, a depot worker, was alleged to have killed Ronke last Thursday after a disagreement at their home in the Egbeda-Idimu area of the state.

He was alleged to have fled the house, locking the door against the deceased and their two children.

The nanny, who first discovered Ronke’s corpse, was said to have raised the alarm, drawing the attention of neighbours.

The matter was subsequently reported at the Idimu Police Division.

Lekan, who spoke with a Punch correspondent while in hiding, had said his late wife was unfaithful to him, adding that she was dating the general manager of a publishing company.

He said he only pushed her hand aside on the staircase during an argument over money, adding that he never fought with her.

He explained that he was not aware that the police were looking for him until the news broke.

The reporter, had, however prevailed on him to report at the nearest police station.

He said, “Fine, I will do that. But can you tell me what will happen when I report at the station? Will they detain me and for how long?”

The reporter during the 18 minutes interview explained that it would be as long as the investigation lasted.

Lekan agreed to meet with the journalist at Ikeja-Along bus stop by 7.30am on Monday.

“Let’s meet at 9am at Alausa. I will be at the Lagos State Attorney General’s office with my lawyer and a friend,” he later said.

However, by Monday, the suspect, who was communicating his movement to the reporter, began to vacillate.

He did not get back until 1pm without being specific about his location.

Later at 2.37pm, the suspect called and said he was sorting out some things, adding that he would get back.

But shortly after, the reporter called the sister of the deceased, Bolatito, who said the suspect had reported himself at the Alausa police division.

A check at the station, however, showed that Lekan reported at the RRS office.

A police said the police had been expecting him.

He said, “We knew he would come. He appeared around 1.30pm here with some of his friends. We alerted the Commissioner of Police, who immediately said we should bring him to the command headquarters. We had to take him down there. He was the one that surrendered himself to the police.”

The suspect, at the command headquarters, insisted he never beat his wife.

He said, “My parents, who were against the union, shunned our marriage. My mother is dead. My father, who is over 90 years, has been full of regret, saying he had warned me. She dated the manager of a publishing firm while still married to me.

“On that Thursday, after she said she had taken my N20,000, all I did was to slap her. I am sorry I did that. But even after that, I still bought moi-moi and pap for her when she said she would not cook. I took garri that night.

“She ate and suddenly started to vomit. I asked her what the problem was, but she said nothing. On Friday morning, she was still lying down when I left her. I even dropped the upkeep money that I always gave her and left for work.

“It was while at work that I was told the police visited the house and saw her corpse. I did not touch her and God is my witness.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Dolapo Badmos, said the police would transfer the case to the State Department of Criminal Investigation, Yaba.

She said, “We had been tracking him and when he saw that the game was up, he gave himself up. We will conduct a thorough investigation and still treat the case as a suspected sudden and unnatural death.”

The President of the Women Arise for Change Initiative, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin, who was also at the command, said the eventual arrest of the suspect was a step in the right direction.

She said the group would follow the case till the end.

She said, “The suspect has done well to come out of hiding and now, we believe that the police will do justice to the case. We will await the result of the autopsy and that will determine the next line of action.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Stanley Okeke

    May 10, 2016 at 7:25 am

    Awaiting further investigation by the police. The suspect had not been questioned. He has a lot to explain. Why he disappeared from his house, why he starting hiding on hearing the news of his wife etc. There is more to this than meet the eye.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

BIG STORY

BREAKING: INEC To Reschedule Elections In Lagos, Rivers, Anambra Over Violence and Ballot Box Snatching Allegations

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission, on Saturday, said that it would reschedule elections in some parts of Rivers, Anambra and Lagos States where there were cases of violence and ballot box snatching.

The commission which specifically mentioned the National Assembly elections in Rivers State, also acknowledged the challenges of smart card readers, saying they have been resolved.

INEC Commissioner and chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, while giving an update on the ongoing elections, said where the malfunctioning of smart card readers were not resolved before the closing of elections, voting will continue the next day.

He said, “We received reports of violence and ballot box snatching which took place in Akokotoro and Bonny LGAs in Rivers State; and some parts of Lagos and Anambra states. We are waiting for the reports, we have told the Resident Electoral Commissioners in the states to submit reports. So long as the poll is didn’t commence, it is assumed that there was no voting.

“So, elections in these areas, especially in areas related to the House of Representatives and Senate didn’t take place and the date for the election will be decided later after we receive reports from INEC officials on ground.”

The commission also said that most of the challenges association with smart card readers were resolved on time.

Okoye also threatened that any INEC official who deliberately refused to make use of the smart card readers would be prosecuted because that action contravened the electoral guidelines and provisions of the Electoral Act.

He said, “It was made clear that the use of smart card reader is mandatory. Therefore any official of the commission who will deliberately refuse to use the smart card reader will be subject to prosecution.

“The challenges of smart card readers have been resolved. But where they are not resolved before the closing of elections, the election will continue the next day.”

He also explained that all the unused ballot papers will be cancelled immediately after election.”

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

15 Feared Killed By Gunmen In Military Uniform In Rivers #NigeriaDecides2019

Gbemileke Ajayi

Published

on

Fifteen persons are reported to have been killed by gunmen in military uniform Abonema area of Rivers State.

The report, filed in by a correspondent of Channels Television during the station’s live transmission of the coverage of the election, makes it the second incident of killing in Rivers State in the ongoing Presidential and National Assembly elections.

An agent of the Peoples Democratic Party was reported killed earlier in the day.

The PDP agent has been allegedly identified as Thywill Dobtubo.

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

It’s None Of Your Business What Bullion Vans Are Doing In My House —- Tinubu Tells Nigerians

Published

on

The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has frowned at those questioning what bullion vans were doing in his Bourdillon home in Ikoyi, Lagos State a day before the commencement of the 2019 general elections.

Tinubu made his position known to newsmen shortly after casting his vote in Saturday’s Presidential and National Assembly elections.

Tinubu, who voted alongside his wife, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, said since there has been no report that the bullion vans contained electoral materials, he had committed no offence.

He also said he had not stolen government money.

He said he has had no contact with government money in any way in the last five years.

Tinubu told newsmen: “What is your issue with bullion vans in my house?

“I have not done any government business in the last five years.

“So I didn’t steal government money.

“And the bullion van was not said to contain election materials.

“So what offence have I committed.

“I have had no contact with government money in the last five years.

“So I don’t see why that should be anybody’s problem.

“It is my money.

“I decide where to keep it and where to keep it.”

Continue Reading

Most Popular