Connect with us

BIG STORY

Fani-Kayode Meets EFCC Today Over N840m Campaign Funds

Avatar

Published

on

FFK Sad

After many weeks of verbal exchange, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, will today confront the spokesman of former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan’s Campaign Organisation, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode, over N840 million he reportedly received a few days to the presidential election.

Fani-Kayode, who narrowly escaped arrest last Friday when about 10 EFCC operatives stormed his Maitama home in Abuja, is scheduled to appear before the commission today to explain why he collected the cash and what it was used for.

The former minister immediately raised the alarm that the agents of the commission had invaded his home and condemned them for doing so after he had given assurance that he would turn in.

The commission is, however, said to be monitoring his movement to ensure that he kept the appointment.

It was not clear at press time if he would be allowed to go home after reporting at the commission for questioning over the money he reportedly received from the former finance minister, Sen. Esther Nenadi Usman, who served as the Director of Finance of the Jonathan’s campaign team.

Usman, who had been detained for some days, only got some reprieve some days ago when she surrendered to the commission two Abuja homes and N140 million out of the N2.5 billion she is said to have received.

It was, however, learned last night that as part of the effort by EFCC to recover $115 million (N24 billion) that was made available for sharing by top government officials in the last administration, the EFCC would, this week, make more arrests of suspects for questioning.

However, a source, who spoke in confidence, declined to give the names of the key suspects likely to be taken in this week by the operatives, saying the agency was interested in recovering public funds from the suspects, no matter how highly placed they might be.

BIG STORY

U.S. Imposes Visa Restrictions On Nigerians Undermining Democracy

Avatar

Published

on

The U.S. Government has imposed visa restrictions on “individuals responsible for undermining the Nigerian democratic process”.

A spokesperson of the U.S. Department of State, Ms. Morgan Ortagus, who announced this in a statement on Tuesday, said the action applied to those responsible for election-related violence.

Ortagus said the unidentified individuals had “operated with impunity at the expense of the Nigerian people and undermined democratic principles and human rights”.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that no fewer than 39 persons died in violence related to the last general elections in the country.

The action, according to the spokesperson, is in fulfillment of the U.S. government’s earlier promise to consider sanctions against anti-democratic forces, including organisers of election-related violence in the country.

“In a Jan. 24 statement, the U.S. government said that we would consider consequences – including visa restrictions – for individuals responsible for undermining the Nigerian democratic process or for organising election-related violence.

“To that end, the Secretary of State is imposing visa restrictions on Nigerians believed to be responsible for, or complicit in, undermining democracy in Nigeria.

“These individuals have operated with impunity at the expense of the Nigerian people and undermined democratic principles and human rights,” she said.

The spokesperson emphasised that the restrictions targeted at specific individuals and not directed at the Nigerian people or the newly-elected government.

She explained that the decision reflected the Department’s commitment to working with the Nigerian government in its anti-corruption crusade and efforts to strengthen democracy, accountability and respect for human rights.

“The United States is a steadfast supporter of Nigerian democracy.

“We commend all those Nigerians who participated peacefully in the February and March 2019 elections and have worked to strengthen Nigerian democratic institutions and processes.

“As Nigeria marks the 20th anniversary of a return to democratic rule this year, we remain committed to working together to continue to advance democracy and respect for human rights and achieve greater peace and prosperity for both our nations.

“We condemn those whose acts of violence, intimidation, or corruption harmed Nigerians or undermined the democratic process,” the spokesperson added.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Buhari Release 43-Man Ministerial List, Nominates Fashola, Amaechi, Aregbesola, Akpabio, Keyamo, Saraki, Others [ See List]

Avatar

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has finally forwarded the list of ministerial nominees to Senate for confirmation.

There are 43 nominees by the President.

On the list announced by Senate President Ahmed Lawan during plenary on Tuesday morning are former ministers Babatunde Fashola, Rotimi Amaechi, Ogbonnaya Onu, Geoffrey Onyeama, Lai Mohammed and Chris Ngige.

Also on the list are former Osun Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, former Benue Governor George Akume, former Bayelsa State Governor Timipre Sylva and former Akwa Ibom State Governor, Senator Godswill Akpabio.

Senator Gbemisola Saraki
Mohammed Musa Bello
Senator Godswill Akpabio
Chris Ngige
Sharon Ikpeazu
Adamu Adamu
Ambassador Maryam Katagun
Timipre Sylva
Senator George Akume
Mustapha Baba Shehuri
Festus Keyamo
Clement Ike
Richard Adeniyi Adebayo
Geoffrey Onyeama
Ali Pantami
Emeka Nwajubo
Suleiman Adamu
Zainab Ahamed
Muhammad Mahmood
Sabo Nano
Hadi Sirika
Abubakar Malami
Rahmatu Tijjani
Lai Mohammed
Olorunnibe Mamora
Babatunde Fashola SAN
Mohammed H. Abdullahi
Zubair Dada
Tayo Alasoadura
Rauf Aregbesola
Sunday Dare
Paullen Talen
Rotimi Amaechi
Sale Mamman
Abubakar D. Aliyu
Sadiya Umar Faruk
Ikechukwu Ogar

Continue Reading

BIG STORY

BREAKING: Senate In Closed Session Over Buhari’s 42-Man Ministerial List

Avatar

Published

on

The Senate on Tuesday went in an emergency closed session a few minutes after the plenary was declared open by the President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan, with an opening prayer.

The executive session may not be unconnected with the ministerial nominees’ list which the President has reportedly sent to the Senate.

An online news platform, The Cable, had earlier reported that President Buhari already sent a list of 42 ministerial nominees to the Nigerian Senate.

Buhari was said to have nominated one person per geo-political zone, bringing the total to 42, unlike his first term where he appointed only 36 ministers.

Continue Reading

Most Popular